Shaw: “Incredibles 2”  is going to be a fantastic feminist film

Vladimir Kulikov

Vladimir Kulikov

Vladimir Kulikov

Nichole Shaw, [email protected]

Fourteen years later, Disney fanatics are finally going to get what they’ve wanted for so long: the release of Incredibles 2 on June 15. However, the content portrayed in the trailer and its description led to some haters based on the feminist ideologies represented. Rather than hate a Disney film because of the political charge that a word such as “feminism” sparks from some people, Incredibles 2 should be praised for the appearance of a movement that is so important for young children to understand correctly.

Elastigirl will be the hotshot hero in the film this time around. Although, from the looks of the trailer, there will still be a lot of focus on Mr. Incredible and his parenting. This showcases a great message to the youth of our world that gender roles are not cemented, they are rather flexible. In a healthy and strong relationship, spouses will work hard to support their significant others in their strides toward success.

RELATED: Newton: Feminism in the 21st century

In the trailer, Elastigirl tells Bob, “I couldn’t do this if you hadn’t taken over so well.” This statement shows the appreciation that Helen (Elastigirl) has for Bob (Mr. Incredible) in his support of her mission and career goals. It shows that women and men can take charge in different ways. While Helen is off fighting the world’s villains and bringing back the legitimacy that heroes once represented, Bob is fighting the oppressive gender constraints of parenting and learning how to be the head of a household and ensure that everyone succeeds.

In fact, a killer line is heard in the trailer when Bob says, “I have to succeed so she can succeed … so we can succeed.” This line is packed with power, it demonstrates what feminism should really mean to viewers. It’s not about women hating men or women thinking they are better than men. Feminism is about the equal opportunity for women to do the same things men can do. It is being a partner rather than a servant, and this statement by Bob exemplifies the unconditional support that goes both ways in a relationship. It shows the foundation that Helen has with being able to rely on her husband because of his want to see her, and subsequently, both of them, succeed. This is what feminism is all about.

RELATED: Gender roles, confusion, & trickle-down

Being a stay-at-home dad shouldn’t emasculate men. It is a rather hard job to do, and Edna Mode says it perfectly in the trailer: “Done properly, parenting is a heroic act.” According to a 2017 Pew Research article, parenting has become a more integral part of a father’s identity; 57 percent of fathers say, “Parenting is extremely important to their identity.” It is clear that parenting is no longer a job left to women, it is rather an integral part of a man’s identity that he can take pride in.

RELATED: The new millennial family space

Finally, Disney is offering a film in which feminism and equality in a relationship between a man and woman are represented correctly, at least, it appears it will be from the vibe of the trailer. Feminism has had a shoddy past being represented rightfully in Disney, with films such as Frozen — in which Elsa was a powerful villain but made to be a villain for a majority of the film and sisterly love and support was overshadowed by love interest between Anna and Kristoff. With Incredibles 2, we have a film in which a relationship empowers and fully supports feminism in all its glory. It’s time we celebrate it instead of cringing from the word “feminism,” which most don’t understand anyway.

Nichole Shaw, Opinion Columnist

Nichole Shaw is an opinion columnist at The Daily Iowan, writing about culture and systemic oppression of different populations....

• Shaw: “Incredibles 2”  is going to be a fantastic feminist film

Columns

Kumar: The importance of stories about women

Columns

Newby: Prevalence of drug-overdose calls for attention and action

Columns

Helton: Fighting climate change isn’t just for tree huggers anymore

Columns

Weigel: Student Teaching: All Work, No Pay

Columns

Nadler: ICCSD, these children are not just numbers

Columns

Banerjee: Netflix vs. movie theaters: the importance of seeing movies

Columns

Shaw: UI students shouldn’t take more than they can chew

Columns

Jaimes: Drake University joins other campuses faced with headlining hoax cases

Columns

Mahoney: Bush’s relationship with Iowa, and the response to his death, stands as another reminder of respect

Columns

Laursen: UI dining can be different