Local group of grannies help promote sustainability

A 100 Grannies member attends a protest during a town hall meeting in the IMU on Friday, Sept. 22, 2017. While Sen. Ernst spoke in the IMU a protest was held outside in Hubbard park. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep

On Monday, an organization called The 100 Grannies, a group of women, trying to educate the public on a creating a sustainable future. Their mission is to create a fossil fuel free world and stop climate change. The grannies accept all grandmothers or women of a “vintage” age. Since they have lived long lives, they first hand have observed the detrimental changes in our climates and environment. The 100 grannies held this lecture at the Iowa City Senior Center and invited Professor of environmental engineering, Jerry Schnoor, from the University of Iowa, to speak on his research about climate change. The lecture included many ways national, state and local changes can be made to slow down our climate change. A lot of importance was put on replacing fossil fuels and using renewable energy to sustain our daily actives. The crowd of mostly elderly citizens were highly engaged and interested in the ways their community can be a part of the change.

Iowa City Senior Center / Location

Jerry Schnoor / UI Professor

Becky Hall / 100 Grannies Member

Becky Ross / 100 Grannies Member

• Local group of grannies help promote sustainability

Uncategorized

David Harmantas

• Uncategorized

Kinsey Phipps

• Uncategorized

Hot coffee

Uncategorized

Elijah Helton

• Uncategorized

Iced coffee

Uncategorized

Susanna Klooster

• Uncategorized

I don’t want to go to haunted houses (but they’re mostly safe)

• Uncategorized

Haunted houses are spooky scary fun

Uncategorized

Taylor Newby

• Uncategorized

No