Iowa Women’s Golf Takes On Arizona

(File Photo; Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

Warmer weather had been making its way back to Iowa City, meaning it was time to break out the golf clubs. The Iowa women’s golf team did just that this week, but it headed to Arizona to tee off in its second tournament of the spring at the Arizona Wildcat Invitational.

The tournament’s first two rounds took place Monday, while the final round will take place later today.

Sixteen teams are competing alongside Iowa: Arizona, Augusta State, Denver, Grand Canyon, Kansas State, Long Beach State, Missouri, Northern Arizona, North Carolina State, New Mexico State, New Mexico, Portland State, Purdue, Texas, UCLA, and UNLV.

Senior’s Jessica Ip and Morgan Kukla were the first two in the Hawkeye lineup for the tournament, both named to the 2017-18 Big Ten Women’s Golf Preseason Honorees.

Ip, coming off a record-breaking performance at the Westbrook Spring Invitational on Feb. 25, carded an 18-hole score of 67 (5-under), tied for the best score in program history. Her 36-hole score wasn’t too shabby, either, as she racked up just 142 shots (2-under) for the fifth best 36-hole score in school history.

Ip wasn’t the only one shooting her way into record books during her last outing; as a team, the Hawkeyes carded their third-best score in program history at 582 (6-over).

Also competing in this week’s tournament is junior Shawn Rennegarbe and freshmen Rachel Fujtani and Stephanie Herzog.

Monday also marked the début of sophomore Sarah Overton, a sophomore from Iowa City who redshirted last year.

Overton was not part of the lineup for the Hawkeyes, but she competed as an individual. She has shot 155 (11-over) through two rounds.

As a team, the Hawkeyes got off to a mediocre first round, shooting 299 (11-over) and ending up tied for 11th.

The second round saw a bit of a drop off from Iowa, as it shot 307 (19-over), dropping them to 15th.

Individually, the Hawkeyes were led by Ip; she shot a 70 (2-under) in her first round. She followed that up with 75 finishing the day with 145 (1-over), the leading score for Iowa and tying her for 20th.

Rennegarbe and Fujitani tied for the second-best score among the Hawkeyes with 154 (10-over), and Herzog has the other qualifying score with 156 (12-over).

Iowa will need a big day today if it hopes to continue to climb the leaderboard. Ip will also look to climb the individual leaderboard.