Mixed results for Hawkeye tracksters in Big Ten Championships

Iowas+Collin+Hofacker+and+other+racers+round+a+corner+during+the+last+heat+of+the+400+meter+dash+at+the+Black+and+Gold+Premier+on+Jan.+27%2C+2018.+Collin+placed+third+with+a+time+of+47.94.+
Matthew Finley
Iowa’s Collin Hofacker and other racers round a corner during the last heat of the 400 meter dash at the Black and Gold Premier on Jan. 27, 2018. Collin placed third with a time of 47.94.

The Iowa track and field teams traveled to Geneva, Ohio, for the Big Ten meet on Feb. 23 and 24. The women took fifth in the conference championship, and the men took seventh.

While both fell short of their ultimate goal of first place, the weekend didn’t lack outstanding performances for the Hawkeyes, especially on the women’s squad — four first-place finishes set a school record for the indoor season.

Jahisha Thomas had a weekend to remember, winning both the long jump (6.42 meters) and triple jump (13.22 meters).

“It was a rough season at the beginning, but God has impeccable timing, and today, I really had to compete because there was great competition,” Thomas told Hawkeye Sports. “I was always thinking of winning them both. I was thinking it into existence and train like you’re going to win both.”

Brittany Brown won the 200 with a time of 23.2 seconds, and Hawkeye Brianna Guillory was the runner-up.

“This indoor season has been really long and tough,” Brown told Hawkeye Sports. “I’ve been battling stuff off the track and to be able to defend my title is great. I am happy to be here, to defend it and be healthy.”

Guillory wasn’t happy with her 200 race despite losing only to her teammate, but she did win the 400 with a time of 52.08 seconds — her first Big Ten title.

“Not taking anything away from Brittany, because she is a great competitor, but if I had executed my race a little better, I think I would have been even closer to Brittany in the 200 meters,” Guillory told Hawkeye Sports.

Laulauga Tausaga placed eighth in the weight throw, extending her school record in the event with a throw of 20.03 meters.

The women’s 4×400 relay team (Brown, Guillory, Sheridan Champe, and Sommer Sharpe) ran a time of 3:33.31, good enough for third place.

The men’s 4×400 relay team (Mar’Yea Harris, Collin Hofacker, Dejuan Frye, and Bradford Garron) also took third in the Big Ten with a time of 3:05.33.

Harris also placed second in the 400 with a time of 46.26 seconds. He ran the fastest qualifying time on Feb. 23. Harris won two silver medals in 2017 as well.

The distance medley relay team (Nathan Mylenek, Chris Thompson, Carter Lilly, and Michael Melchert) took first place.

Reno Tuufuli placed second in the shot put with a mark of 19.28 meters, a school record.

“It feels good,” Tuufuli told Hawkeye Sports. “It’s been a long time coming. I feel like I have been throwing school records in practice pretty much every week, and it feels good to finally put it on paper.”

Tysen VanDraska placed fifth in the 800.

Overall, the women achieved their highest point total since 2007 with 74. The men finished with 54.

The Minnesota women won the meet with 91.5 points, and the Ohio State men won with 101.5 points.

Athletes who are ranked in the top 16 in the nation and relay teams in the top 12 will head to College Station, Texas, next weekend for the NCAA indoor championships.