Hawkeye tennis returns to Iowa City

After a brief hiatus from Iowa City, the Hawkeyes return to the Tennis & Recreation Complex, hosting two teams this weekend, Marquette and Bradley.

Hawkeye tennis returns to Iowa City

Iowa's Yufei Long wails a backhand during a tennis match between Iowa and Northern Iowa in Iowa City on Saturday, Jan. 20, 2018. The Hawkeyes defeated the Panthers, 7-0. (Shivansh Ahuja/The Daily Iowan)

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Shiva

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Shiva

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Shiva

The Iowa women’s tennis team will try to extend its home winning streak on Feb. 25 when it takes on Marquette and Bradley. The Hawkeyes will play Marquette at 10 a.m. and Bradley at 2 p.m. at the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreation Complex.

Head coach Sasha Schmid wants to get the team refocused after a tough (nonconference) loss on the road against Illinois last week (6-1).

“We are all happy to be home this weekend after a lot of traveling,” Schmid said. “The team has been focused in practices this week, and we are ready to play well to get momentum into this final stretch of nonconference matches.”

Although just 4-3 overall, the Hawkeyes are just trying to find their groove, as they prepare for Big Ten play in three weeks.

One key to victory for the Hawkeyes is freshman Yufei Long. She boasts a 7-0 in singles play, with two straight-set victories over ranked opponents.

To extend the Hawkeyes’ home winning streak against the Eagles and Braves, Long will have to continue her magnificent play.

The match will mark the 21st meeting between Iowa and Marquette. The Hawkeyes lead the all-time series 18-2, including their last meeting, which the Hawkeyes won in 2017 (5-2).

As for the Braves, this will be the second meeting between the two teams. The Hawkeyes dominated the Braves in their first meeting, winning in 2016 (7-0).

— Cody Smith

• Hawkeye tennis returns to Iowa City

Football

Iowa football report card: Defensive line

• Hawkeye tennis returns to Iowa City

Football

Iowa football report card: Offensive line

• Hawkeye tennis returns to Iowa City

Iowa wrestling’s Young and Marinelli take reins after undefeated starts

• Hawkeye tennis returns to Iowa City

Sports

By the numbers: Hawkeye women’s basketball

• Hawkeye tennis returns to Iowa City

Men's gymnastics

Consistency is key for Iowa men’s gymnastics

• DITV

DITV Sports: Dec. 11, 2018

• DITV

DITV Sports: Riley Till

• Hawkeye tennis returns to Iowa City

Sports

Iowa wrestling shifts from late losses to bonus points

• Hawkeye tennis returns to Iowa City

Football

Former Hawkeye George Kittle nearly breaks NFL record

• Hawkeye tennis returns to Iowa City

Sports

Iowa swimming and diving tops Iowa State for ninth-consecutive season