Big Tens: Day Two

A medley relay highlights the Hawkeye men’s second day of the championships.

Big Tens: Day Two

Swimmers take a dive into the pool for the Men's 100 Yard IM during a swim meet between University of Iowa and Western Illinois on Friday, Feb. 2, 2018 at the University Aquatic Center. Swimmers competed in a variety of events including relays and freestyle swimming. (Katie Goodale/The Daily Iowan)

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Katie

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Katie

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Katie

Anna Kayser, [email protected]

The Iowa men’s swimming and diving team continued competition at Big Tens with five events.

In the 200 individual medley, junior Kenneth Mende narrowly missed the finals with a time of 1:47.67. The last finals-eligible time was 1:47.26.

In the 1-meter dive, junior Will Brenner (302.40) and freshman Anton Hoherz (300.30) came in 25th and 26th in the preliminaries. The top 16 divers made it into the final round.

To begin the finals in the 500 free, senior Christopher Dawson swam to a NCAA “B” Standards time of 4:20.42, good for ninth.

RELATED: The University of Iowa mens’ swimming fifth in Beg Tens

Junior Jack Smith made a finals appearance in the 50 free with a NCAA “B” Standards time of 19.63, touching in 11th.

Finishing the night in the 400-medley relay, the quartet of Mende, freshman Daniel Swanepoel, senior Jerzy Twarowski, and Smith touched in at 3:08.24 for fifth place. The time narrowly beat the NCAA “B” Standard.

Iowa finished the second day of competition in seventh place with 214 points.

Facebook Comments