Letter to the editor: To truly fund education, our tax dollars should fund the product

In response to a DI writer’s column, the public needs to consider how the state funds schools, not education.

Jacob Prall had an opinion piece published on Wednesday (‘School choice’ gone now but not forgotten, Feb. 21) concerning school vouchers and public education. The only problem is that Prall almost completely ignored the most important part of this issue: education.

He talks almost exclusively about schools, the vendor, rather than the product, education. This seems to be a frequent problem with opponents of school vouchers. They confuse all their terms and miss what we are all trying to talk about with this issue.

I’ll use an analogy to make my point. When the state of Iowa wants to build a bridge with public money, it will accept bids from private contractors to find which vendor can produce the product for the best possible price.

The state does not start its own construction company to produce the bridge, because ultimately what the taxpayers are funding is a bridge, not a vendor. Even if a public construction company were to exist, that would not limit the state to only using the public company. Again, the people are buying a bridge.

Whoever can build the highest quality bridge at the lowest price should get the bid, regardless of whether they are a public or private vendor.

Prall makes the complaint that some students who go to private schools get a worse education.

This is akin to President Trump’s recent talks about getting a Blue Apron-style food-stamp program. Everyone who was up in arms about that proposal rightly said people should be free to choose their own food products, even if those products are less healthy. Likewise, educational vendor choices should be left to consumers, parents.

Our state government currently does not fund public education. It funds public schools, the vendor. To truly fund education, our tax dollars should fund the product, regardless of vendor.

– Scott Hastings

University of Iowa staff member

• Letter to the editor: To truly fund education, our tax dollars should fund the product

Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: UISG president on recent online harassment

Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: John Norris for Iowa Governor

Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: Senator, Representatives in Des Moines support Pat Heiden

Letters to the Editor

Letters to the Editor: Support for Pat Heiden, Zach Wahls

Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: Vote Mary Mosiman for state auditor

Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: Mid-year budget cuts irresponsible

Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: In defense of state auditor candidate Rob Sand

Letters to the Editor

Letters to the Editor: Fund the backfill, corrections to voter turnout column

Letters to the Editor

Letters to the Editor: Remembering U.S. wars, preventing school violence

Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: Grassley responds to editorial on gun violence