Iowa City Summer of Arts’ releases Friday Night Concert Series lineup

Concert goers dance to the music of The Surf Zombies in Iowa City’s Ped Mall Friday night. The Surf Zombies are from Cedar Rapids and drew a large crowd Friday night for Friday Night Concert Series inside the Ped Mall. (The Daily Iowan/Sergio Flores)

Not only will the Summer of the Arts’ screen movies in the Pentacrest this summer, the nonprofit organization will also be hosting a Friday Night Concert series from May 18 to Aug. 31.  The 14 free, family-friendly concerts will be three-hour shows: 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.

RELATED: Iowa City Summer of the Arts’ free movie schedule released

The Summer of Arts’ encourages community members of all ages and backgrounds to come out and catch a wide variety of local talent; even some international groups thanks to the ongoing partnership with Hancher.  

May 18- City High AND West High Jazz Ensembles

May 25- Zeshan Bagewadi

June 8- Winterland

June 15- Dandelion Stompers

June 22- Dave Zollo & the Body Electric with Brian Johannesen & The Zero Percent Chance of Rain

July 6- Annie Savage & The Savage Hearts

July 13- The Beaker Brothers

July 20- The Feralings AND Flash in a Pan

July 28 – The Fez

Aug. 3- 6 Odd Rats AND the Right Now

Aug. 10- Death Valley Welcomes Center AND Gloom Balloon

Aug. 17- The Candymakers AND The Maytags

Aug. 24- Shade of Blue

Aug. 31- Younger and Otros Outros AND Anthony Worden

Due to construction on the Ped Mall, the live music performances will be relocated this summer to North Clinton Street between Iowa Avenue and Jefferson Street.  

In the event of rain, the Friday Night Concert series will be moved to the lower level of the Chauncey Swan Parking Ramp on the corner of Washington and Gilbert streets.  For further information regarding the concert series, visit the Summer of the Arts’ website.

-Michael McCurdy