Hawkeye Men’s Golf Warms up for Season in Florida

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep
Iowa’s Alex Schaake drives during a tournament at the Donald Ross Course at the Cedar Rapids Country Club in Cedar Rapids on Tuesday, Sept. 19, 2017. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

The Iowa men’s golf team returned to action this past weekend in Florida to compete in the Big Ten Match-Play Tournament.

The Iowa men’s golf team kicked off the start of the spring season during a time where Iowa City looked like a winter wonderland. Luckily for its match over the weekend, the men’s golf team was in Palm Coast, Florida, for Big Ten Match-Play.

On Feb. 9, the Hawkeyes got three individual victories from Alex Moorman, Matthew Walker, and Benton Weinberg. However, overall the Hawkeyes struggled, losing to Purdue and Minnesota.

Feb. 10 saw a reversal in fortunes for the Black and Gold. The Hawkeyes beat Maryland (4-2) and Ohio State (6-0) to finish the tournament with a 2-2 record.

The second day of match play was against Ohio State, and no Hawkeyes trailed on the final few holes. Head coach Tyler Stith said Day 2 was a relief after a less-than-desirable opening day.

“We were disappointed with Feb. 9 results,” Stith said. “So today’s performance was very important. We gained some valuable experience in pressure situations. That’s when your weaknesses are exposed. Now we have a good idea of what we need to work on before spring break. Winning 10 out of 12 points takes more than one or two guys. [Feb. 10’s] wins were a collective team effort.”

Iowa men’s golf team will have a month’s wait until its next match; it will compete at the Southern Intercollegiate in Athens, Georgia, beginning on March 12.