UI takes action against opioid epidemic

Iowa's Christopher Buresh, a clinical professor of emergency medicine, poses for a portrait in the emergency department of the University of Iowa Hospital on Tuesday, Feb. 6, 2018. (Matthew Finley/The Daily Iowan)

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Matth

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Matth

Hannah Rakofsky, [email protected]

The opioid epidemic is not going unnoticed at the University of Iowa.

The Office of the Vice President for Research and Economic Development is partnering with the College of Public Health, the Human Resources Office of Organizational Effectiveness, and the Institute for Clinical and Translational Science to organize an initiative at the university to combat the epidemic.

With numerous cases of recorded opioid overdoses and deaths in the past several years, the problem is becoming more pressing.

According to the UI College of Public Health, prescription opioid deaths in Iowa have quadrupled in the past 20 years. And that has been evident to officials in the Iowa City area.

Iowa City police Lt. Zach Diersen said he has recognized the epidemic and noted that in this past year, there have been 14 opioid-related deaths in Iowa City.

The epidemic affects more than just “who you’d expect,” he said. And it affects more areas than people might expect.

“The epidemic puts a strain on other areas of the system besides law enforcement,” he said.

In regard to specific training used to handle crises, Diersen said, he trains his staff to recognize if someone is having an opioid overdose and how to get that person the appropriate treatment. It’s also important to make sure no one is having accidental exposure, he said.

Aaron Kline, a research development coordinator in the UI Research Office, emphasized the importance of the university’s initiative.

“We have an opportunity to get in front of the problem,” he said. “Awareness is growing, and there’s essentially two goals to this initiative: building a community on campus and building a research base.”

In order to spread more awareness for and improve the initiative, the UI searches for ideas to minimize the effects of the opioid epidemic, including a brainstorming session called “Ideas Lab” will take place April 9-11.

Organized by the Research Office, the Ideas Lab will include a variety of staff members and faculty who will discuss potential solutions to the epidemic, Kline said.

Chris Buresh, a UI clinical professor of emergency medicine, said working to prevent further opioid abuse is significant, and he believes the Ideas Lab will be a great way to promote diverse ideas for potential solutions.

“We’ve got to do something differently,” he said. “There’s no stopping this. We need new perspectives so we can come out of this with great new ideas to curb the crisis.”

Buresh said that although it might not be possible to stop the epidemic, it’s important to minimize its effect.

• UI takes action against opioid epidemic

UI-led study discusses brain marker associated with aggression in children

The roots for students to flourish: After 50 years, Afro House remains necessary

Hawkeye football superfans show front row pride

UI facilities assess, prepare for climate change

USA Today names the UI as a university where ‘applications are on the rise’

Nite Ride improves service with new advancements

Updated approval process makes it easier to use drones on campus

UI’s tobacco ban difficult to enforce as students continue to smoke on campus

Homecoming Council strives for inclusivity through new initiatives

Second of 4 College of Liberal Arts and Sciences dean candidates holds forum