Austin to play Gabe’s

Jeff Austin will bring bluegrass to Gabe’s today, mandolin and all.

The crowd during an Afroman concert at Gabe's on Saturday, 28 January 2017. The venue was sold out a week prior to the performance that featured Afroman alongside supporting acts with Semi Sixteenz, A$thmattic, Derek James, A-Wet$ & Jack Sueno, C Jones, and DJ Peer Pressure. (The Daily Iowan/James Year)

James Year

James Year

Troy Aldrich, [email protected]

Jeff Austin has been a touring musician for almost two decades, and he brought tasty mandolin licks together with a horn section in his 2015 album release, The Simple Truth. Iowa City’s music scene has long welcomed bluegrass artists, and Austin should expect the same when he rolls into town.

He founded the Yonder Mountain String Band in December 1998, alongside Dave Johnston, Ben Kaufmann, and Adam Aijala. The group produced 10 full-length albums during his time with them. Austin was featured on the mandolin and lead vocals with Yonder.

Amid the band’s success, Austin left the group in the spring of 2014 and began touring with the Jeff Austin Band almost immediately. He joined bluegrass buddies Erin Thorin (bass) and Danny Barnes (banjo). They had only a small catalogue of songs for rotation, but Austin soon began writing for the group.

Early on, Austin stressed the importance of playing originals. He removed himself from Yonder completely, even though many fans of his former group begged for their favorite Yonder hits. This was largely because of Austin’s new sound.

We hear a lot of new sounds on The Simple Truth. For starters, there is a horn section (trumpet, trombone, tenor saxophone) featured on “Shake Me Up.” Next to the customary acoustic mandolin solos, there is electric bass and guitar. These changes haven’t taken Austin away from his roots. There are still fiery mandolin solos, and old-fashioned folk lyrics on tracks such as “Fiddling Around” and “Run Down.”

• Austin to play Gabe’s

Arts

Gabe’s drops the bass

• Austin to play Gabe’s

Arts

1st Gala Ball dazzles BSU

• Austin to play Gabe’s

Arts

Homecoming show features attitude

• Austin to play Gabe’s

Arts

Review: Hellraiser

• Austin to play Gabe’s

Arts

Storm Large brings message of love, music to Hancher

• Austin to play Gabe’s

The Man with a Million Questions: Behind Iowa City trivia nights

• Austin to play Gabe’s

Student Spotlight

UI student and rapper Nobi remains in the shadows of the hip-hop world

• Austin to play Gabe’s

Music

LAV.ISH ready to open for Homecoming headliner Lizzo

• Austin to play Gabe’s

Theater

New play about relationships focuses on bisexuality, environmental issues

• Austin to play Gabe’s

Multimedia

Photos: LoveBird