In their own words: Hawkeyes react to Steve Wynn controversy

The Daily Iowan; Photo by Ben Al
The Stephen A. Wynn Institute for Vision Research is pictured inside the Medical Education and Research Facility on Wednesday, Jan. 31, 2018. Wynn, a major donor to the UI, was recently accused of sexual assault. The University made the decision to remove Wynn’s name from the center’s title. (Ben Allan Smith/The Daily Iowan)

The University of Iowa has chosen to drop donor Steve Wynn’s name from its Vision Research Institute after sexual-misconduct allegations forced Wynn to step down as finance chairman of the Republican National Committee. Some critics say UI should give Wynn back his donation of $25 million if it removes his name. We asked people on campus, “Do you agree with the UI’s decision to remove Wynn’s name, and should the UI return his money?”

Addy Hamel

UI freshman

“Yes. I agree that they should remove his name, and no, he shouldn’t get his money back.”

Harishma Sidhu

UI junior

“That’s really hard. What he’s accused of is unacceptable, but that donation can do a lot of good. They should decide if the money is worth it. If not, take it down.”

Omer Al-jufi

UI senior

“I would say it’s unfair to take the name down but keep the money. I think they should keep his name.”

Katelynn Cochrane

UI freshman

“I think if they’re refusing the name, they shouldn’t use the money, either.”

Patrick Caligiuri

UI freshman

“I believe that there’s no excuse for what he did. If they don’t want to use his name, they shouldn’t get to use his money, either.”