Hawkeyes tune up for Big Tens

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Katie
Swimmers compete in the Men’s 200 freestyle during a swim meet between University of Iowa and Western Illinois on Friday, Feb. 2, 2018 at the University Aquatic Center. Swimmers competed in a variety of events including relays and freestyle swimming. (Katie Goodale/The Daily Iowan)

The Iowa swimming and diving team swept Western Illinois at home on Feb. 2 by taking home victories in every event in the Hawkeyes’ last dual meet of the season.

The meet had a slightly different dual format, with the majority of the events being sprint-based.

“It feels good, it’s a totally different format so we put people in positions where we needed to see some things, and that went well,” head coach Marc Long said.

The Hawkeye men won their portion of the meet, 127-75, with the women winning, 128-65.

The first event of the night was the 400 relay, and both the men and the women took 1-2 finishes. In first place, the women’s quartet of sophomore Samantha Sauer, freshman Sage Ohlensehlen, senior Summer Campbell, and senior Lauren Leehy touched at 3:53.16. On the men’s side, freshman Jacob Rosenkoetter, junior Tanner Nelson, freshman Jackson Kuhlers, and junior Ben Colin finished on top with a 3:25.33.

In the 200 freestyle, senior Meghan Lavelle touched at 1:53.61. The men took another 1-2 finish, with sophomore Michael Tenney leading the pack at 1:39.28.

Both the men and the women swept in the 100 individual medley. Sophomore Allyssa Fluit led her team with a time of 59.84, and freshman Daniel Swanepoel led the men at 51.56.

In the 50 freestyle, freshman Sarah Schemmel touched at 24.10, and sophomore Joe Myhre led at 20.43.

In the diving well, Jayah Mathews finished with a score of 284.65 on the 1-meter dive. Will Brenner led the men with a 355.35.

Back in the pool, Meghan Hackett (25.47) and Jerzy Twarowski (21.47) took home first in the 50 butterfly.

In the 100 freestyle, Sauer took home an individual win at 51.95. Tenney followed with his second individual win of the night at 46.05.

Senior Jo Jekel led the women in the 50 backstroke with a 26.36. Junior Kenneth Mende led the men with a 22.76.

For the women, senior Carly O’Brien touched at 5:01.27 in the 500 freestyle, and freshman Tom Schab led with a 4:41.25.

In the 50 breaststroke, senior Shea Hoyt took home her win in 29.57, and Swanepoel followed with his second individual win in 26.23.

On the 3-meter dive, Mathews won again with a 315.60. Anton Hoherz recorded a win with a 377.00.

To finish the meet in the 200-freestyle relay, the women’s team of Lavelle, Leehy, senior Tereysa Lehnertz, and O’Brien touched at 1:33.20. For the men, junior Michal Brzus, junior Matt Kamin, Mende, and junior Jack Smith out-touched their Western Illinois opponent by moore than six seconds at 1:21.03.

The goal of the meet was to fine-tune the details leading up to the Big Ten meet. The training regimen has been tough recently, but that will begin to taper off as the conference meet approaches.

“We were all a bit sore and tired from the week, but I think we did a good job just working on the little things,” Swanepoel said.

For the whole team, this was the last competition of the season at the Campus Recreation & Wellness Center. For the seniors, it was their college career home finale.