Iowa basketball falls apart at Penn State

Shots weren’t falling, and the defense couldn’t stop Penn State’s all-around attack in another Iowa loss.

Iowa forward Tyler Cook walks off the court after the NCAA basketball game between Iowa and Michigan at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Tuesday, Jan. 2, 2017. The Hawkeyes fell to the Wolverines 75-68. (Ben Allan Smith/The Daily Iowan)

The Daily Iowan; Photo by Ben Al

The Daily Iowan; Photo by Ben Al

Just when things looked like they had come together for Iowa, it all fell apart when the Hawkeyes traveled to Penn State on Feb. 3 for a conference showdown.

The Nittany Lions (16-9) won, 82-58, in another lopsided defeat for the Hawkeyes (12-13).

For Iowa, Tyler Cook scored 19 points, hitting eight of his 12 shots from the field. Luka Garza was the only other Hawkeye with double digits in the scoring column (13 points), but did most of his scoring at the free-throw line; the freshman only made three of his 13 field goals.

Cordell Pemsl added help off the bench, scoring 9, but he, Maishe Dailey, and Cook were the only Hawkeyes to make at least half of their shots. The other five players to attempt shots combined to go 8-for-33.

Iowa’s offense just could not match Penn State’s; the Hawkeyes made shots at a 38.2 percent rate, and the Nittany Lions coasted on a 54.7 percent outing.

In the win over Minnesota, Iowa only made six 3-pointers. On Feb. 3, it only made one of its 10 attempts.

Jordan Bohannon drained Iowa’s lone triple, but the sophomore failed to repeat his dominate 20-point, 10-assist performance against Minnesota. Bohannon scored 3 points, dished out 3 assists, but turned the ball over three times. He only shot the ball three times.

Mike Watkins scored 19 for Penn State, and Lamar Stevens and Tony Carr chipped in 17 and 16.

This loss not only dropped the Black and Gold under .500, it kicked off the Hawkeyes’ tougher portion of their conference play. Iowa has a short break before returning to the court on Feb. 6, hosting Michigan State in Carver-Hawkeye.

Adam Hensley, Pregame Editor

Adam Hensley is the current Pregame Editor at the DI, covering football, men’s basketball, and baseball. Formerly the DI Sports Editor, Hensley has been on staff for all four years of his time at the University of Iowa, covering a wide range of sports, including cross-country, track and field, and women’s basketball.

• Iowa basketball falls apart at Penn State

Luka Garza, Jordan Bohannon among analytical heroes for Hawkeye hoops

Men's Basketball

Point-Counterpoint: Who will be Iowa men’s basketball’s X-factor?

Men's Basketball

New number represents Tyler Cook’s growth

DITV

DITV: Basketball player Tyler Cook will return for next season

Point guard Connor McCaffery ready for a fresh start

Men's Basketball

Hawkeye basketball looks to improve defense

Men's Basketball

A healthy Luka Garza is key for Iowa basketball

Men's Basketball

Iowa basketball’s Garza out indefinitely following surgery

Men's Basketball

Big Ten schedule set for Hawkeye basketball

Men's Basketball

Previewing Iowa basketball’s non-conference schedule