2019 Iowa Basketball targets watch list

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Katina Zentz
Iowa forward Isaiah Moss (4) goes for a dunk in the second half of the NCAA men’s basketball game between Iowa and Minnesota at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Tuesday, Jan. 30, 2018. The Hawkeyes are going into the game with a Big Ten conference record of 2-8. Iowa went on to defeat the Golden Gophers 94-80. (Ben Allan Smith/The Daily Iowan)

There is plenty of excitement circulating some of Iowa’s targets in the 2019 hoops recruiting class. Where do the Hawkeyes stand in these highly touted prospects’ recruitment?

Sean Bock

With the 2018 recruiting class intact, it’s time to shift focus to 2019. Head coach Fran McCaffery has gained the services of his son, Patrick, who is the highest-ranked prospect in Iowa basketball history.

Can McCaffery and the rest of the coaching staff use Patrick’s commitment as momentum to land a few more recruits in the 2019 class?

There are plenty of talented high-school players out there who have heard from Iowa. But who are the ones Hawkeye fans should pay attention to as the high-school season hits its final months and AAU season starts back up again?

DJ Carton

Guard

Height/Weight: 6-1, 180 pounds

High School: Bettendorf

247 Ranking: 4-stars

No. 47 player in Class of 2019

Inside Scoop: Carton was one of the biggest breakout stars on last summer’s AAU circuit playing for his non-shoe sponsored club team, Quad City Elite. A relatively unknown mid-major prospect around this time last year, high-major programs have been chomping at the bit to get this electrifying guard on campus. In addition to Iowa, Carton also has offers from Wisconsin, Creighton, Illinois, and Ohio State, among others, but it’s only a matter of time until the bluebloods start to get involved.

Carton is as quiet as they come when it comes to his recruiting. From what I’ve heard, I think Iowa is in pretty good position, but a lot can change from now until the day he commits, which should be in the spring of next year. Jordan Bohannon will be a senior if (when) Carton comes in as a freshman, so it’ll be vital for Iowa to get a second point guard option when Bohannon’s time concludes.

Trayce Jackson-Davis

Power Forward

Height/Weight: 6-8, 210 pounds

High School: Center Grove (Greenwood, Indiana)

247 Ranking: 4-stars,

No. 30 player in Class of 2019

Inside Scoop: Much like Carton, Jackson-Davis has become one of the more sought-after recruits in the Midwest over the past months dating back to the summer. He and Patrick McCaffery have a good relationship with each other off the court, but other premier programs such as UCLA, Indiana, and Michigan State seem to have gained the edge recently.

Though Iowa has a chance with Jackson-Davis, I have a hard time seeing him leaving the Hoosier State.

Michael Moreno

Small Forward

Height/Weight: 6-6, 195 pounds

High School: Scott County (Georgetown, Kentucky)

247 Ranking: 3-stars,

No. 207 player in Class of 2019

Inside Scoop: Not as high-profile as some of these other guys, Moreno can still ball and is better than his ranking. In addition to Iowa, Ohio State is Moreno’s only other Power 5 offer. A week ago, Moreno told the DI that the three schools who have been in the most contact with him are Ohio State, Miami (Ohio), and Northern Kentucky. He said Iowa still keeps in touch but hasn’t been consistent with checking in, which could mean the coaching staff is recruiting other players at Moreno’s position.

Jeremiah Robinson-Earl

Height/Weight: 6-9, 220 pounds

High School: Bishop Miege (Mission, Kansas)

247 Ranking: 5-stars,

No. 24 player in Class of 2019

Inside Scoop: Robinson-Earl visited Iowa City in the summer and really liked what he saw. “I have a great relationship with the staff, and Coach [Fran] McCaffery has shown me how I would fit right into their style of play,” Robinson-Earl told AllHawkeyes in September. Like Jackson-Davis, Robinson-Earl has started to get on the blueblood’s radar, as Kansas, North Carolina, and UCLA, among others, have offered. Robinson-Earl’s father, Lester, played three years at Kansas, which seem to be the early favorite at this point.

Tyreke Locure

Height/Weight: 5-10, 170 pounds

High School: Des Moines North

247 Ranking: N/A

Inside Scoop: Locure almost feels like a backup plan for Iowa. If the Hawkeyes aren’t able to land Carton, Locure would be reasonable option B. Though he only holds offers from North Dakota and Drake, Locure has started to gain recent interest from high-major programs such as Creighton and Iowa State.