Downtown Block Party coming back to Iowa City in June

NICK ROHLMAN
A bartender pours a beer into a block party cup during the Iowa City Downtown District Block Party on Saturday June 25, 2017. The Block Party, hosted by the ICDD was the first use of Iowa City’s changed rules allowing open containers for select events downtown. Open containers were permitted only for beer or wine in the approved glasses. (Nick Rohlman/The Daily Iowan)

Iowa City will again host the Downtown Block Party in downtown Iowa City this summer.

This year, the party will be held on June 23 from 5 p.m. to 11 p.m., according to a Facebook event posted by the Iowa City Downtown District.

The post said last year’s block party, the first one Iowa City held, brought about 30,000 people out to join in the fun. The atmosphere will be comfortable and relaxed, the post said, as the party will be spread out in the downtown area.

The Facebook post said the event is meant to focus on Iowa City’s business economy.

RELATED: Block Party a huge hit

For $10 a ticket, an event cup can be purchased by those 21 years old and older to hold either beer or wine while walking along Iowa City’s downtown area. Only these cups will be allowed to contain alcohol outside of businesses selling alcohol.

Beer and wine can be out in the streets due to an amendment to the open-container ordinance the Iowa City City Council passed in April 2016. This ordinance now states someone can go from licensed area to another with an open container.

-Kayli Reese