Big teams push Hawkeyes in the water

Big teams push Hawkeyes in the water

Iowa's Will Scott stretches before the men's 50m freestyle during the Senior Day meet between Iowa and Minnesota at the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center on Friday, Oct. 27, 2017. The Iowa men's swimming team beat the 21st ranked Minnesota Golden Gophers 168-132. (Ben Smith/The Daily Iowan)

The Daily Iowan; Photo by Ben Sm

The Daily Iowan; Photo by Ben Sm

The Daily Iowan; Photo by Ben Sm

The Iowa men’s swimming and diving team notched a third-place finish at the Shamrock Invitational this past weekend, and the women finished fifth.

This weekend gave the Hawkeyes one of their best tests prior to Big Tens, and the Hawkeyes fared well.

Four men posted individual runner-up finishes in their events. Junior Kenneth Mende posted a 1:46.75 in the 200 back. Junior Jack Smith recorded a 100-free time of 44.18, good for a NCAA “B” qualifying time. Sophomore Michael Tenney finished with a 1:49.18 in the 200-fly. In the diving well, freshman Anton Hoherz finished with a NCAA zone standard of 389.50 on the 3-meter springboard.

RELATED: Competition heats up at big-time swimming meet

To close out the meet in the 400-free relay, Joe Myhre, Matt Kamin, Will Scott, and Smith finished behind Notre Dame with a 2:56.40.

On the women’s side, freshman Jayah Mathews recorded a zone standard 295.55 on the 1-meter springboard to finish third in the event.

Senior Shea Hoyt led the swimmers with a 200-breast time of 2:18.96, good for fourth.

Facebook Comments