GymHawks take titles on the road

Both gymnastics teams are on the road to take home wins.

GymHawks take titles on the road

Iowa's Lanie Snyder dismounts the uneven bars during the Iowa/Ohio State gymnastics meet in Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Friday, Jan. 19, 2018. The GymHawks defeated the Buckeyes, 195.725 to 195.300, to win their home opener. (Lily Smith/The Daily Iowan)

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Lily

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Lily

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Lily

The Iowa women’s gymnastics team continues its Big Ten win streak, taking the victory over Maryland, 196.000-195.350.

Starting on the uneven bars, the Hawkeyes jumped ahead with a season high 49.050. Sophomore Charlotte Sullivan won the even with a season-best score of 9.875.

Next on the vault, Iowa continued to lead after finishing with a 48.850. The GymHawks swept the podium in the event with junior Maria Ortiz leading a season-high 9.825.

Senior Lanie Snyder took home the victory on floor with a season-best 9.900. The team overall scored a 48.925 to extend the lead.

To finish the meet, Iowa landed a season-high 49.175 on the beam. Junior Nicole Chow recorded a career-high 9.900 to win the event.

In the all-around, Sullivan recorded her own career high of 39.300 to win the competition.

“This win was a complete team effort,” head coach Larissa Libby said. “There is still a lot of work ahead of us this season, but for now, we are excited to be returning home with a win.”

The No. 8 men’s team continues the weekend on the road as it takes on No. 6 Minnesota for the second time this season.

The Gophers won the last meeting, 401.400-393.200, at the Windy City Invitational.

“I’m looking forward to going up against Minnesota,” senior Mark Springett said. “They’re a fierce competitor but it’s a team that we’ve seen before. Our team definitely has the skills necessary to go up there and come back with a win.”

Facebook Comments