Hawkeyes Return Home and Hope to Return to Winning

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep
Iowa center Megan Gustafson huddles with teammates before shooting free throws after drawing a foul while making a basket during an Iowa/Purdue women’s basketball game in Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Saturday, Jan. 13, 2018. The Boilermakers defeated the Hawkeyes, 76-70. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

The Iowa women’s basketball team (15-5, 3-4) returns home today in a pivotal matchup against the third-best team in the Big Ten when No. 12 Ohio State (16-4, 5-2) comes to town at 7 p.m.

People who enjoy watching exciting offenses should be in for a treat as the Buckeyes and Hawkeyes can both claim to be one of the best offenses in the Big Ten.

Both teams have numerous scoring threats, as four players from both teams are currently averaging double-digit points a game.

Not only is this game a crucial one for Iowa because of the opponent but also because its midseason slump it is trying to shake.

It’s been three games and more than two weeks since the Hawkeyes last tasted the sweetness of victory, and they’re itching for another dose of it. Nothing is sweeter than a win against one of the best teams in the conference

“A win over Ohio State eliminates a lot of things,” head coach Lisa Bluder said. “It does a lot for our résumé, a lot for our confidence; it would be amazing, so we have to play a really good game because there is no room for error with this team.”

Luckily for the Hawkeyes, the Buckeyes have seen a midseason slump similar to theirs, as they enter tonight’s game on a two-game skid.

Despite its recent struggles, Ohio State has a talented and experienced squad full of seniors and excellent scorers.

RELATED: A closer look at Iowa’s offense

The Buckeyes’ main threat is senior guard Kelsey Mitchell, who leads her team, and is second in the country in scoring with 24.8 points per game.

Fortunately for the Hawkeyes, they also have one of the country’s top scorers wearing their uniform.

“We obviously know they have one of the best scorers in the Big Ten,” Hannah Stewart said. “The good thing about that is so do we in Megan Gustafson.”

Gustafson is just two spots behind Mitchell on the country’s top scorers list with 23.6 points per game, She’ll need to have a big night if the Hawkeyes hope to win.

But regardless of how well Gustafson plays, she can’t win the game alone, and she thinks teamwork is of paramount importance in tonight’s game.

“[We need to] just keep believing in each other,” Gustafson said. “Just keep believing that the hard work that we’ve been putting in every single day is going to pay off eventually.”

A big boost for the Hawkeyes in tonight’s game will be a welcomed return to their home court after a two-game road trip and spending five of the last seven games on the road.

The home-court advantage is certainly a reality for Iowa who has gone 25-6 on its home floor the past two years. A lot of that success can be attributed to the support of their fans.

“Our fans are amazing,” sophomore guard Kathleen Doyle said. “If you feel any sort of tired at all they’re right there behind you cheering for you and yelling at the refs for you. They’ve got your back so it’s really fun to play at Carver.”