Football adds an assistant coach

Adam Hensley, [email protected]

Iowa football has a new assistant coach.

Derrick Foster joined the Iowa staff, head coach Kirk Ferentz announced on Monday.

“Derrick is an outstanding person and has built an impressive résumé with experience at multiple levels of college football,” Ferentz said in a release. “He has an impressive record of success on the recruiting trail that will strengthen and expand our existing efforts.”

Foster was recently at Samford. While in Birmingham, Alabama, Foster served as the running-backs coach and running-game coordinator.

Previously, he coached wide receivers and running backs at Tennessee, Northwestern State, and Valdosta State.

“My wife, Bianca, and I are excited to be afforded this wonderful opportunity to become a part of the Iowa family as well as the Iowa City community,” said Foster in a release. “Our journey is continuing, as this provides us with the opportunity to be part of a great staff and a university that is committed to excellence. I have a lot of respect for the stability and commitment of Coach Ferentz and his longevity with the program. I feel fortunate and look forward to working with Coach Ferentz and his dedicated staff.”

Foster adds another recruiting presence to Iowa’s arsenal, which excites Ferentz.

“Our goal was to use this additional coaching position to help us in multiple areas, and we did that,” he said in a release. “We gained Derrick as a coach, we bolstered our recruiting capabilities, and we strengthened our commitment to special teams by allowing LeVar Woods to focus entirely on a significant phase of our game.”

During his time at Northwestern State, Foster coached some of the program’s best receivers.

Ed Eagan’s 73 receptions set a school record, and he also set the record for catches (13) and yards (238) in a single game.

While at Tennessee, Foster assisted with offensive-coordinating duties and helped out the running backs as well. Under his tutelage, the Volunteers ranked third in the SEC in total offense (5,711 yards).

Foster began his career with Valdosta State in 2011, where he coached Seantavius Jones, a wide receiver for the Kansas City Chiefs.

Adam Hensley, Pregame Editor

Adam Hensley is the current Pregame Editor at the DI, covering football, men's basketball, and baseball. Formerly the DI Sports Editor, Hensley has been...

• Football adds an assistant coach

Football

Iowa’s offense looks to get back on track on the road

• Football adds an assistant coach

Football

By the numbers: Illinois

• Football adds an assistant coach

Football

College football Week 12: the Big Ten is embarrassing

• Football adds an assistant coach

Football

On The Line – Week 12

• Football adds an assistant coach

Football

One-on-one with Hawkeye wide receiver Nick Easley

• Football adds an assistant coach

3 former Iowa football players present new Hawkeye podcast

• Football adds an assistant coach

Football

Hawkeyes look to fix the run game production

• Football adds an assistant coach

Football

Northwestern overcomes adversity to win West

• Football adds an assistant coach

Football

Iowa football looks to improve run while getting back to the basics

• Football adds an assistant coach

Football

Iowa football’s run game falters