A closer look at Iowa’s offense

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep
Iowa center Megan Gustafson celebrates after drawing a foul while making a basket during an Iowa/Purdue women’s basketball game in Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Saturday, Jan. 13, 2018. The Boilermakers defeated the Hawkeyes, 76-70. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

It’s been a tough start to 2018 for the Iowa women’s basketball team — the Hawkeyes have dropped three of their last four and have a tough matchup with Ohio State on Thursday in Carver-Hawkeye.

A rough patch can often focus attention like a laser on a team’s struggles on the court, and Iowa certainly has had some. However, the Hawkeyes sprinted out of the gate to a 14-1 start that was no accident, and they certainly have done some special things on the court so far this season.

While Iowa’s recent struggles have come on the defensive side of the ball —giving up 70 points per in their last six games — they have been consistently dominant on offense.

In 17 of their 20 games, the Hawkeyes have delivered 70 points and topped 90 four times.

That considered, it’s no surprise to see Iowa high in many offensive categories.

Its most coveted stat would probably be assists per game, and it’s no secret this team likes to pass the ball. The Hawkeyes’ unselfishness has led to 21.9 assists per game, good for third in the country, right behind UConn.

An interesting note about the stat is that assists aren’t hoarded by one player, they’re a team effort.

Kathleen Doyle is 18th in the country and leads the team with 6.3, Makenzie Meyer averages 4.9, and Tania Davis handed out 5.2 a game when she was healthy.

After that, six players dish out at least 1 assist per game, and it’s rare to find a game in which most players who played did not have an assist. The storm of assists has led Iowa to be 28th in the country in points per game with 78.7.

An indicator at how efficient the Hawkeyes’ offense is would be how well they’ve shot — a whopping 48.6 percent, eighth in the country.

Both the scoring and field-goal percentage is boosted by 6-3 center Megan Gustafson. Often the focal point for the Hawkeye offense and opposing defenses, she still manages the fourth-highest points per game in the country at 23.6 while maintaining the second-best field-goal percentage in the country, 67.1 percent.

She’s as close to automatic as it gets, and as if being top 10 in scoring and field-goal percentage wasn’t enough, she’s also fourth in the country in rebounds, averaging 12.8 a game. Those stats produce a double-double almost every evening Gustafson steps on the floor; she’s accumulated a country-leading 19 in 20 games.

While Gustafson is the Hawkeye on the floor, she’s surrounded with talented offensive players. Three other Hawkeyes average double digits.

As can be seen in their number of assists, the Hawkeyes are clearly a team that likes to share the wealth. Iowa will need lots of wealth to go around Thursday against the tough No. 12 Buckeyes. Their identity is on the offensive side of the court as well; they rank third in the country in points per game at 86.8.