Kaji injured, future of season unknown

Iowa's Clair Kaji performs on the beam during the Iowa/Ohio State gymnastics meet in Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Friday, Jan. 19, 2018. The GymHawks defeated the Buckeyes, 195.725 to 195.300, to win their home opener. (Lily Smith/The Daily Iowan)

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Lily

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Lily

The GymHawks will have spots to fill in at least three events after an injury benches one of the top athletes.

Sophomore gymnast Clair Kaji was injured on Jan. 19 in Iowa’s meet against Ohio State. She sustained a “lower leg extremity” injury in her floor routine warm-up, according to head coach Larissa Libby.

She finished her beam routine in the third event of the night with a score of 9.850. She was then scratched from the floor routine.

“It’s obviously a devastating blow to our team for multiple reasons,” Libby said. “She is one of our best athletes, she’s the one athlete that’s gone to the national championship, so obviously that hurts us.”

Monday at practice, Kaji returned to the gym in a walking boot and on a scooter, a testament to her attitude surrounding her injury.

“[Most] importantly, she’s a great kid,” Libby said. “We love having her on the road, she’s light-hearted, she’s always excited about doing gymnastics, she’s just the bond between everybody – so that’s more difficult than even losing the gymnastics.”

The sophomore was named to the Big Ten watch list at the beginning of the season, and she is a top athlete on the uneven bars, beam, and floor routine.

In 2017, Kaji competed in every meet. Against Northern Illinois, she recorded a season high 9.875 on the uneven bars. She also posted a season high on the floor at Iowa State, with a 9.925.

Anna Kayser

• Kaji injured, future of season unknown

Luka Garza, Jordan Bohannon among analytical heroes for Hawkeye hoops

Football

Iowa football’s defensive line remains strong, steady

UI Athletic Director Gary Barta discusses Title IX, alcohol sales in Kinnick, and more

Men's Basketball

Point-Counterpoint: Who will be Iowa men’s basketball’s X-factor?

Men's tennis

Iowa men’s tennis junior Kareem Allaf wins ITA Central Regional

Sports

Gustafson named Big Ten Preseason Player of the Year

DITV

DITV Sports: Oct. 22, 2018 – Hawkeyes shine in Maryland game, women’s soccer finishes season unbeaten at home

Football

Hawkeye offense shines against Terrapins

Football

Hensley: The next two games will be critical for Iowa football

Multimedia

Photos: Soccer vs. Northwestern (10/21/18)