Top pool finishes boost Big Ten win

The Daily Iowan; Photo by Ben Sm
A swimmer climbs out of the water during the Senior Day meet between Iowa and Minnesota at the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center on Friday, Oct. 27, 2017. The Iowa men’s swimming team beat the 21st ranked Minnesota Golden Gophers 168-132. (Ben Smith/The Daily Iowan)

The Iowa swimming and diving team split the Big Ten matchup against Northwestern on Jan. 21 after winning 18 out of 32 events.

The Hawkeye men won their side of the meet, 194-101, but the women lost, 163.5-134.5.

To begin the meet for the men, junior Kenneth Mende, freshman Daniel Swanepoel, senior Jerzy Twarowski, and sophomore Joe Myhre won the 200-medley relay, touching at 1:29.54. The Hawkeye “B” relay came in second to push the team to an early advantage.

Junior Jack Smith and senior Thomas Rathbun came in first and second, respectively, in the 200 freestyle to continue Iowa’s success.

Mende (48.73) and sophomore Forrest White (50.28) also recorded a 1-2 finish in the 100 backstroke. Mende took home another individual backstroke win in the 200 at 1:46.57.

Top finishes were key for the men’s team. In the 200 butterfly, Twarowski finished in 1:49.54, and sophomore Michael Tenney followed at 1:49.96. Twarowski also finished first in the 100 butterfly at 48.23, good for an NCAA “B” time.

Tenney finished first in his own event, touching in at 1:51.50 in the 200 individual Medley.

Myhre recorded numerous individual wins. His first came in the 50 freestyle, where he touched at 20.50. In the 100 freestyle, he finished in 44.87 and was followed by Smith and junior Matt Kamin to extend the team’s lead.

In the 500 freestyle, senior Christopher Dawson finished on top in 4:34.17.

To end the meet, the 400-freestyle relay team of Smith, Myhre, junior Michal Brzus, and Kamin took home the victory in 2:58.76, more than four seconds ahead of Northwestern.

In the diving well, junior Will Brenner recorded a 327.00 score on the 1-meter to finish first. On the 3-meter, the Hawkeyes finished 1-2-3 with freshman Anton Hoherz on top with a 356.63.

On the women’s side, sophomore Hannah Burvill took home the Hawkeyes’ first win in the 200 freestyle in 1:49.63. She continued her individual success in the 500 freestyle, touching at 5:00.69.

In the 100 butterfly, the Hawkeyes swept the top spots. Junior Kelly McNamara finished in first with a 55.51, followed by senior Mekenna Scheitlin (56.17), senior Jo Jekel (57.18), and sophomore Meghan Hackett (57.50).

The 400-freestyle relay of sophomore Samantha Sauer, senior Carly O’Brien, sophomore Allyssa Fluit, and Burvill, finished ahead of opponents with a time of 3:25.94.

Up next, the Hawkeyes will splash off against Notre Dame again in the Shamrock Invitational Friday, Jan. 27.