Diver takes success to USA meet

Swimmers warm up before a swim meet between Iowa and Michigan State inside the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center Natatorium on Thursday, September 8, 2017. The Hawkeyes opened their 100th season of swim and dive. (Shivansh Ahuja/The Daily Iowan)

Anna Kayser, [email protected]

Iowa junior Will Brenner competed in the senior 1-meter springboard competition at the USA Diving Winter National Championships on Wednesday.

Brenner placed No. 19 with a score of 243.85 in the 23-man preliminary round.

As a junior, he holds the Iowa school record on the 1-meter springboard with a 368.00, breaking his own previous record.

Last season, Brenner received the Wentworth “Lobbey” Lobdell Award, given to the top male diver after recording his school-best 1-meter score. In that season, he also posted NCAA Zone Diving standards on the 1-meter and the 3-meter.

RELATED: Diving championships bring unique opportunity for two Hawkeyes

At the NCAA Zones meet, Brenner placed 20th on the 1-meter with a score of 292.75. At the Big Ten Championships, he posted a 361.15 on the 1-meter, good for 10th overall.

During Brenner’s freshman year, he broke the 1-meter school score for the first time with a score of 365.00. He placed 16th on the platform at Zones and 11th on the 1-meter at the Big Ten Championships. In total, recorded four 1-meter titles for the season.

Anna Kayser, Assistant Sports Editor

Anna Kayser is currently the Assistant Sports Editor and a football reporter at the DI. She began her college career as a news reporter before moving to the Politics team with a focus on the work of Sen. Chuck Grassley. In her sophomore year, she spent both semesters as a sports beat reporter covering Hawkeye volleyball and softball.

• Diver takes success to USA meet

Football

Injured Hawkeyes headline Week 8 of college football

• Diver takes success to USA meet

Field Hockey

Hawkeye field hockey chugs on despite no Iowa high school play

• Diver takes success to USA meet

Football

Nebraska football celebrates its ‘best’ practice of 2018

• Diver takes success to USA meet

Cross Country

Iowa cross-country runs alone, finishes for the team

• Diver takes success to USA meet

Football

By the numbers: Hawkeye quarterback Nate Stanley playing at a record pace

• Diver takes success to USA meet

DITV

DITV Sports Newscast: October 16th, 2018

• Diver takes success to USA meet

Football

Point-Counterpoint: Will Nate Stanley break Iowa’s passing touchdown record?

• Diver takes success to USA meet

Rowing

Iowa rowing’s first varsity eight looks to fill seats

• Diver takes success to USA meet

Soccer

Iowa’s new sole female soccer coach takes an ‘attacking-minded’ style

• Diver takes success to USA meet

Football

Stanley’s 6-touchdown performance garners awards