Swimmers ready to extend win streak against ISU

Swimmers ready to extend win streak against ISU.
The Daily Iowan; Photos by Ben A
The Men’s 200m IM compete for the third heat during the second day of USA Swimming Junior Nationals at the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center on Thursday, Dec. 7, 2017. Both men’s and women’s swimming will compete until Dec. 9. (Ben Allan Smith/The Daily Iowan)

The Iowa women’s swimming and diving team will compete in the annual Cy-Hawk series at 6 p.m. today in Ames.

Iowa State does not have a men’s swimming or diving team, so this willbe the only time this season that the schools will match up in thepool.

The Hawkeyes have taken seven-straight meets from the Cyclones. Last season, they won, 197-101, with wins in 14 out of 16 events.

“It’s the Iowa-Iowa State rivalry, and that’s always been a big one,” senior Mekenna Scheitlin said. “It’s such a fun meet, going up andracing these girls.”

The Cy-Hawk series always means a little extra for the Hawkeyes.

“We have a tradition of putting cornrows in our hair and having a nice team meal the night before, so it’s just a great way to bond and have another opportunity to get up and race,” Scheitlin said.

The women’s team is coming off of a tight meet at the Minnesota Jean Freeman Invitational, in which almost every athlete made a personal best in one way or another.

Those personal bests will help to move the team forward not just in this meet but in the rest of the season.

Last season against Iowa State, Hannah Burvill won the 100 freestyle with a time of 49.74. Just last weekend, she set a school record with a time of 49.10.

Despite coming off a strong meet and having a long winning streak against Iowa State, competing in Ames always brings its challenges.

“It’s always an intimidating place to compete, and Iowa State is always ready for us, so we’re excited to have our team in that

environment,” head coach Marc Long said.

Iowa State has not lost a meet at home yet this season. The Cyclone swimmers placed third at the Kansas Classic Nov. 17-19.

Iowa has the advantage this weekend coming fresh out of competition, while Iowa State has been in training mode.

Nevertheless, with the Cyclones geared up and ready, the Hawkeyes will have to bring their own strengths to compete on the road.

“Well hopefully, we’ll do our best to stay focused and race hard, and just kind of give it our best shot,” Long said.

For the freshmen, this will be their first time experiencing the in-state rivalry in the pool, and with that, this big meet can bring its own nerves and challenges.

“I grew up in Iowa, and I was always an Iowa fan, so just being able to compete against them for the first time, I’m so excited,” freshman Kelsey Drake said. “I know the atmosphere is going to be great and just to have the first real rivalry, at least for me. I’m just really looking forward to it.”

RELATED: Water Hawkeyes prepare to amp up training