Regents OK anatomy program  

The state Board of Regents approved a new anatomy program at the UI Carver College of Medicine Wednesday.

The University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine will prepare future instructors of anatomy with a new Master of Clinical Anatomy program.

This 32-hour program offered through the Department of Anatomy/ Cell Biology was approved by the state Board of Regents Wednesday and is set to be implemented in August 2018.

The new program will prepare students for careers in the anatomical sciences or as a pathway for post-bachelor’s study and could enhance students’ experience for the entrance to a health-care-related professional program through experiential learning activities to develop skills in teaching and educational research, according to regent documents.

Documents also noted the new clinical anatomy program will be beneficial for faculty and will allow for development in the areas of student mentoring and opportunities for educational research and will be a source for teaching assistants for current courses in the Carver curriculum.

Associate Provost for Faculty Kevin Kregel noted there is a need for anatomy instructors in higher education.

“Every university, every college has anatomy offerings; certainly here at the University of Iowa we need anatomy instructors for all of our professional areas,” he said during a meeting of the state Board of Regents Wednesday.

— Emily Wangen