Josh Jackson, Josey Jewell earn Big Ten awards

Iowa’s pair of defensive catalysts snagged individual conference awards on Thursday.
The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep
Iowa cornerback Josh Jackson attempts to intercept a pass during the Iowa/Nebraska football game in Memorial Stadium on Friday, Nov. 24, 2017. The Hawkeyes defeated the Cornhuskers, 56-14. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

Hawkeye linebacker Josey Jewell and cornerback Josh Jackson earned individual Big Ten awards, the conference announced Thursday.

Jewell earned the Nagurski-Woodson Defensive Player of the Year and the Butkus-Fitzgerald Linebacker of the Year awards. Jackson won the Tatum-Woodson Defensive Back of the Year award.

Jewell’s 125 tackles this season ranks third in the country, despite missing a game with injury earlier this season at Northwestern. He also has 13.5 tackles for a loss, 4.5 sacks, 2 interceptions, a forced fumble, and a fumble recovery on the season.

RELATED: Josey Jewell snags Jack Lambert award

The pair of Big Ten awards may not be the last hardware Jewell takes home this season; the Decorah native is a finalist for the Bronko Nagurski Trophy, Senior CLASS Award, and the Lott IMPACT Trophy.

Jewell is the first Hawkeye since Leroy Smith in 1991 to win the Nagurski-Woodson award. He’s the school’s first Butkus-Fitzgerald recipient.

Meanwhile, Jackson continues his quest as one of the country’s top defensive backs. The Corinth, Texas, native has 7 interceptions this season — tied for No. 1 in the nation — en route to being the third Hawkeye in school history to win the Tatum-Woodson Award.