Iowa grabs the pin and win

Hawkeye wrestling keeps its fans on edge, then tops Illinois by 1 point to open conference play.

Iowa grabs the pin and win

Iowa coaches react as Sam Stoll pins Illinois' Duece Rachal for the win during the Big Ten opener in Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Friday, Dec. 1, 2017. The Hawkeyes defeated the Illini 18-17. (Nick Rohlman/The Daily Iowan)

NICK ROHLMAN

NICK ROHLMAN

NICK ROHLMAN

James Geerdes, [email protected]

It all came down to Sam Stoll.

The Hawkeye heavyweight strode onto the mat and into the tipping point in Iowa wrestling’s conference home-opener against Illinois on the evening of Dec. 1 when he faced off with Illinois big man Deuce Rachal.

Although the night in Carver-Hawkeye will be remembered for Stoll’s performance, the lackluster Iowa wrestling preceding it was stunning. Iowa was consistently at the wrong end of the scoreboard. And one word seemingly categorized its evening: slow.

“We were struggling offensively,” head coach Tom Brands said. “And it doesn’t take a great wrestling mind to see that … Those guys were athletic, and points were hard to come by. But that’s not where we should be struggling.”

After the first three bouts, Iowa was down 9-0.

True freshman Justin Stickley lost via decision to No. 13 Travis Piotrowski, 7-4, to open the evening. Iowa’s No. 18 133-pounder Phillip Laux lost to Dylan Duncan, 6-1. And 141-pounder Vince Turk was outwrestled by Mike Carr, 7-5.

Iowa’s highly ranked heart of the lineup came and left quietly when No. 2 Brandon Sorensen beat No. 20 Eric Barone, 4-1. No. 3 Michael Kemerer won via decision against No. 17 Kyle Langenderfer, 4-1. But Iowa was still down 9-6 after its biggest guns left the mat.

Kaleb Young got the call for the Hawkeyes for the third week in a row, and Illinois’ No. 2 Isaiah Martinez wrestled up to his ranking. After 11 takedowns, Martinez left the mat with a tech fall and a final score of 23-8. Iowa was down 14-6.

Joey Gunther found Iowa’s mojo at 174 when he beat David Riojas by decision, 6-1.

With two weights left, Iowa was down 14-9 and needed a win and bonus points to secure 20-straight victories in conference-openers.

Cash Wilcke entered the ring and pulled out a nail-biter in sudden victory with a takedown. Iowa was down 17-12, still needed bonus points to win, and hope was fading in Carver. Yet the crowd was at its loudest.

“They came in with the strategy to slow us down,” Brands said. “We train to get to our offense, and that’s what we have to do. We have to not worry about their game plan and get to our stuff.”

Stoll walked onto the mat, not worried, and delivered. With Iowa needing points, the heavyweight pinned Rachal in 2:02.

“I know if I go out there and wrestle at a high pace for seven minutes, things will take care of themselves …” Stoll said. “I’m going to go wrestle at a really high pace. My goal is to pin every guy I face. I know that if I wrestle the way I should, things will fall into place.”

James Geerdes, Sports Reporter

James “Jim” Geerdes is a sports reporter, digital producer, and designer. He is currently  a sophomore. He spent his freshman year covering wresting,...

• Iowa grabs the pin and win

Hawkeyes display defensive dominance in win over Panthers

• Iowa grabs the pin and win

Photos: Iowa men’s basketball vs. UNI in the Hyvee Classic

• Iowa grabs the pin and win

Tyler Cook and Company coast in Des Moines

• Iowa grabs the pin and win

Football

Iowa football report card: Quarterbacks

• Iowa grabs the pin and win

Football

Iowa football report card: Special teams

• Iowa grabs the pin and win

Men's Basketball

Hawkeye men’s hoops readies for final Hy-Vee Classic battle against Panthers

• Iowa grabs the pin and win

Sports

Schedule tightens up for Iowa women’s basketball

• Iowa grabs the pin and win

Sports

Hawkeye divers set for USA Diving World University Trials

• Iowa grabs the pin and win

Men's gymnastics

Men’s gymnastics goes beyond the numbers

• Iowa grabs the pin and win

Football

Iowa football report card: Defensive backs