In Their Own Words: President Trump distances himself from Roy Moore

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep
Community members participate in a march for Take Back the Night on Tuesday, April 25, 2017. Take Back the Night was a sexual assault awareness event. (The Daily Iowan/Joseph Cress)

After sexual-assault and harassment allegations rocked Hollywood, American politicians began being called out as well. President Trump denounced Sen. Al Franken on Twitter but has come under fire for not doing the same for a member of his own party. We asked UI students, “What are your thoughts on President Trump condemning Sen. Al Franken for sexual misconduct allegations but not Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore?”

Joann Berglan, UI senior

“It’s kind of the same, it’s no surprise here, business as usual. The hypocrisy is just no surprise, just kind of numb to it.”

Jocelyn Roof, UI freshman

“I think it’s another way Donald Trump continues to show bias disproportionately to the Republican side, and it’s overall a really terrible situation that both sides deserve blame for. It’s very hypocritical on his part.”

RELATED: Column: Fighting sexual violence should be everyone’s fight

Kevin Hillshafer, UI junior

“I think that a lot of it is Trump acting like he doesn’t know how to play politics but definitely is playing politics. Especially since, I’m going to assume the Southern [senate candidate] is a Republican. I think a lot of it is the politics, and frankly what’s disgusting in all of that is the fact that he definitely has a lot of sexual-harassment issues, he as in Trump … just disgusting how hypocritical he is in that situation.”

Rebecca Allen, UI graduate student

“He’s a hypocrite. It’s not really a surprise, it’s exactly in his character to do that.”

Taylor Junck, UI freshman

“I just think that sexual assault is, like, a nonpartisan issue and that it’s really unfortunate that our president is blaming one side and not the other when both are clearly responsible.”

RELATED: Artists speak out to break silence about sexual assault