Hawkeyes sweep through tourney

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Lily
Iowa guard Alexis Sevillian attempts to pass the ball during the Iowa/Northern Illinois basketball game at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Wednesday, Nov. 15, 2017. (Lily Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Another test, another win for the Hawkeye women’s basketball team after it finished the Puerto Rico Classic with a 74-61 win over Elon on Nov. 25.

With the victory, Iowa swept the tourney and kept their perfect season alive. The Hawkeyes’ 7-0 start is their best since the 2010-11 season, when they also started off 7-0. This season, the Black and Gold are tied for their second-best start under coach Lisa Bluder.

Along with the win, Hawkeye fans can also take pleasure in Kathleen Doyle’s return to the starting lineup. In her first game back with the team, she struggled from the field, going 2-9 for 6 points, but she dished out a game-high 7 assists.

When Doyle was absent, redshirt freshman Alexis Sevillian stepped in and ensured the Hawkeyes didn’t miss a step. Her role may diminish some with Doyle’s return, but her production was even better than in the games she started.

For the fourth time in seven games, Sevillian increased her career high. On Nov. 25,, the Michigan native netted 21 points, playing in fewer minutes than she had in any game this season.

“Sevillian comes off the bench and has a terrific game,” Bluder said. “She was 5-of-6 from 3-point range; that is a career high

in 3s for her. Really happy for her.”

Junior Megan Gustafson provided her typical stat line — 20 points, 14 boards — good for her seventh double-double of the season.

RELATED: Hawkeyes down Charlotte, advance in Puerto Rico Classic

A slight deviation from her normal output was the number of offensive boards Gustafson was able to bring down; of her 14 boards, 9 came on the offensive side.

Hannah Stewart’s performance may get lost in the shuffle because she only scored 4 points, but she rounded out her stat line with 3 assists, 1 steal, 9 rebounds, and a team-high 4 swats.

The frontrunner for stat of the game would be the Hawkeyes’ recording assists on 25 of their 31 baskets, and it showed as they got off to a fast start for the first time in the tournament.

After 56 seconds of a 0-0 tie, Gustafson hit a lay-up to give Iowa an early lead, which it never relinquished.

The early success on the defensive end propelled Iowa’s quick start, allowing just 8 points in the first quarter.

“We had great energy to start this game, especially on the defensive end,” Bluder said. “We boxed out well in the first half; in the second half we struggled. It’s hard to box [Elon] out; [Elon] is a great rebounding team.”

The Hawkeyes return to Iowa City to prepare for the final six games of the nonconference schedule, all in the state.

Their first game will be arguably their toughest opponent so far: No. 13 Florida State. That game will take place at 7 p.m. Nov. 29 in Carver-Hawkeye.