Around the Big Ten: Week 12 power rankings

Coaches Paul Chryst, Lovie Smith, Tom Allen, and James Franklin interview with Fox Sports Game Analyst, Joel Klatt, during the Big Ten Football Media Day Luncheon at McCormick Place Conference Center in Chicago on Tuesday, July 25, 2017. (Ben Smith/The Daily Iowan)

The Daily Iowan; Photo by Ben Sm

The Daily Iowan; Photo by Ben Sm

The Daily Iowan; Photo by Ben Sm

Adam Hensley, [email protected]

“Thanksgiving is almost here, so here are some things I’m thankful for: my family and friends, Josh Jackson, and that I’m not a Husker fan.”

1) No. 5 Wisconsin (10-0): Madison treated me well, but it sure didn’t treat the Hawkeyes equally. Maybe Iowa needs its own “Jump Around” tradition. I’m all about it.

2) No. 8 Ohio State (8-2): Thanks for smacking Michigan State, because Iowa couldn’t do it.

3) No. 13 Penn State (8-2): Rutgers was up 6-0 on Penn State last weekend (not good). Then Penn State scored 35 unanswered points (good).

4) No. 22 Michigan State (7-3): The Spartans now have as many wins (7) as charges against L.J. Scott for driving with a suspended license.

5) No. 19 Michigan (8-2): I remember when Jim Harbaugh showed up at Big Ten media days in a Jumpman crewneck and khakis. I out-dressed Jim Harbaugh at Big Ten media days.

6) Northwestern (7-3): In the preseason I deemed Northwestern as my “dark horse” to win the Big Ten. After Wisconsin beat Iowa, it clinched the West Division. R.I.P. to my hot take.

7) Iowa (6-4): I honestly don’t understand how you go from putting up 55 points on the No. 3 team in the country to only moving the football 66 yards a week later.

8) Rutgers (4-6): Chris Ash is my Big Ten Coach of the Year, hands down. Seriously, Rutgers doubled its win total from last year, and this season isn’t over yet.

9) Minnesota (5-5): Running for 409 yards in a single game is elite. I think that’s equivalent to how many words P.J. Fleck speaks in a minute.

10) Purdue (4-6): Never forget when Purdue cooked Missouri, 35-3, in nonconference play. Take that, SEC.

11) Nebraska (4-6): If all football fans lived in the past as much as Husker fans, we’d be discussing Yale as the best football program of all time (side note: Yale has 17 NCAA Championships. That’s three more than Alabama).

12) Maryland (4-6): The Terrapins have twice the number players who have thrown a pass this season (8) than they do wins (4). That is all.

13) Indiana (4-6): In the first game of the season, Indiana once led Ohio State, 14-6 (before losing 49-21). Now, the Hoosiers are in last place in the East.

14) Illinois (2-8): The Lovie Smith curse is in full effect: Illinois is a dumpster fire, and so are the Bears.

Offensive Impact

Name: Mike Webber

Position: Running back

Year: Sophomore

Webber needed only 9 carries to absolutely shred Michigan State’s defense last weekend. Averaging 18 yards per carry, Webber ran for 162 yards and 2 touchdowns in the Buckeyes’ 48-3 win over the Spartans, including an 82-yard sprint. He also had a touchdown of 47 yards.

Defensive Impact

Name: Josh Jackson

Position: Cornerback

Year: Junior

In the past two weeks, Jackson has 5 interceptions, 2 touchdowns, and a forced fumble. That’s a better stat line than most college defensive backs get in a single season, and Jackson’s done that over the last two games. The junior leads the nation with 7 interceptions, leaving many wondering: Why do quarterbacks still throw his way?

No. 19 Michigan @ No. 5 Wisconsin

When: 11 a.m., Saturday

Where: Camp Randall, Madison, Wisconsin

Facebook Comments