UI students reflect on what they are thankful for

Members of Student Outreach greet passersby during a “Say Thanks” event on the T. Anne Cleary Walkway on Wednesday. Students who stopped by wrote down what they were thankful for. (Andrew Baur Schoer/The Daily Iowan)

UI Student Outreach hosts a ‘Say Thanks’ event that gathers students on the T. Anne Cleary Walkway on Wednesday afternoon to reflect on what they are thankful for.

By Grace Lynn Keller

’Tis the season to say thanks.

University of Iowa Student Outreach partnered with Active Minds to put on an event that got students reflecting on what they are grateful for this holiday season.

The event was held on the T. Anne Cleary Walkway from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday. Students wrote it down what they are most thankful for to share with others.

Naomi Cochran, the event organizer, said it’s important to reflect on what we are grateful for, not only during the holidays but year-round.

“We wanted to do something that got people in the mood for fall break,” Cochran said. “Everyone feels really stressed out, and it’s nice to give students an outlet to de-stress a little bit and reflect on how awesome it is to be a Hawkeye.”

Students could write small notes of gratitude on feather-shaped papers, displayed on a picture of Herky to create a “Herky Turkey.” There was also larger stationery available for students to write longer letters giving thanks.

“We thought it’d be cool to not only brighten the lives of the people receiving the letters, but also the people who are writing them,” Cochran said. “Expressing gratitude can actually help people feel happier.”

Many students shared what they were grateful for and reflected on what those things mean to them.

UI freshman Jessica Lazzari said she was grateful for the friends she has kept since moving here.

“I’m thankful for cozy weather and lasting long-distance friendships,” she said.

UI senior Jamie Pritzker said she was thankful for her home, family, and dog, among other things.

“I’m thankful for having a roof over my head, and that everyone’s always there for me,” Pritzker said. “Also, for where I am today, because I never thought I’d make it this far.”

UI first-year student Josef Fox said he was grateful for similar things.

“I’m thankful for my family, because they help me through a lot, and they support me,” Fox said. “I’d also have to say shelter, because it’s really cold in the Midwest.”

Many students got specific in their reflections about why they valued certain people and things in their lives.

“I’m thankful for my mother, because she has taught me valuable life skills I can use in the future,” UI second-year student Tyler Brinning said. “I’m grateful for my friends, too, because they get me through the tough times.”

Brinning had a few material things on his list as well.

“I’m also thankful for free Wi-Fi, because it’s convenient, and I don’t have to pay extra on my cellphone bill,” he said.

UI first-year student Caleb Statler said he was the most grateful for his family.

“They support me no matter what, are always there for me, and help me financially when I need it,” Statler said. “And they help with pretty much with everything else, too.”

He also reflected on the new friends he’s made at the UI.

“I’m grateful that I have good friends who are always there for me and who like to have a good time,” he said.

He also had one other thing on his list: financial aid.

“I’m thankful because it’s getting me through college,” he added. “Most students probably are.”