Iowa volleyball prepares for last home match

The Hawkeyes will try to fight for their postseason goals against the Buckeyes this weekend.

Annika Olsen reacts to a mis-hit ball during a volleyball match against Indiana University on Friday, Nov. 3, 2017. The Hawkeyes defeated the Hoosiers 3-0. (David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan)

David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan

David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan

Anna Kayser, [email protected]

The Iowa volleyball team will try to restart the intensity in its last home match of the season at 8 p.m. Saturday against Ohio State.

The Buckeyes are 14-12 on the season, 7-8 in the Big Ten.

Blocking has been big for Iowa recently and will prove to be important in this match. Ohio State ranks 48th in the nation with an average of 13.76 kills per set.

“Ohio State is a really good matchup for us,” senior libero Annika Olsen said. “They’ve been not so successful this year in the Big Ten as they have in the past, and we get to play them twice in the future, so we’re really looking forward to that. They have a lot of injuries, so we’re just kind of ready to play our game against them and really think it’s a good team we can beat.”

In the remaining five matches of the season, the Hawkeyes will face against the Buckeyes twice.

Beating a team two times in the Big Ten is something that Iowa knows is tough to do, but the focus right now is just on that first match.

“We know that’s going to be a tough game, and we know they’re clawing and fighting their way to stay in the running for the tournament,” senior middle blocker Kelsey O’Neill said. “We know that we’re going to have to shut them down quickly and fast, and if we do it once we have no doubt that we can do it again.”

Ohio State is coming off of a three-set sweep against Rutgers on Nov. 8, while Iowa is trying to restart its intensity after being swept at home by No. 1 Penn State.

RELATED: Volleyball flat, flatter, flattest against No. 1 ranked Penn State

The Hawkeyes’ focus now is playing the best they can on their side of the net.

“The Buckeyes are definitely hot as of late, and we’re going to have to bring a lot from a full team aspect,” head coach Bond Shymansky said. “We need every hitter to show up, we need every defender and passer, we need Brie Orr to set a great game, and that’s going to be required to take down the Buckeyes.”

A lot of the drive going into this match is knowing who the better team is.

“Ohio State, they are a good team, but they’re a team that we know we can beat and we have to know that,” Olsen said. “We have to play with that confidence.”

Saturday’s match is senior night for the Hawkeyes, where they will honor seniors Olsen, middle blocker Jess Janota, middle blocker O’Neill, right-side hitter Taylin Alm, and outside hitter Kasey Reuter.

With the team’s sights still set on an NCAA Tournament bid, the last matches of the season are crucial.

Anna Kayser, Assistant Sports Editor

Anna Kayser is currently the Assistant Sports Editor and a football reporter at the DI. She began her college career as a news reporter before moving to the Politics team with a focus on the work of Sen. Chuck Grassley. In her sophomore year, she spent both semesters as a sports beat reporter covering Hawkeye volleyball and softball.

• Iowa volleyball prepares for last home match

Luka Garza, Jordan Bohannon among analytical heroes for Hawkeye hoops

Football

Iowa football’s defensive line remains strong, steady

UI Athletic Director Gary Barta discusses Title IX, alcohol sales in Kinnick, and more

Men's Basketball

Point-Counterpoint: Who will be Iowa men’s basketball’s X-factor?

Men's tennis

Iowa men’s tennis junior Kareem Allaf wins ITA Central Regional

Sports

Gustafson named Big Ten Preseason Player of the Year

DITV

DITV Sports: Oct. 22, 2018 – Hawkeyes shine in Maryland game, women’s soccer finishes season unbeaten at home

Football

Hawkeye offense shines against Terrapins

Football

Hensley: The next two games will be critical for Iowa football

Multimedia

Photos: Soccer vs. Northwestern (10/21/18)