Seattle named United States’ second City of Literature

NICK ROHLMAN

On Oct. 31, UNESCO designated Seattle as the second City of Literature in the U.S.

By Aadit Tambe

Seattle and Iowa City may be nowhere near each other, but they have one key thing in common: They are the only UNESCO Cities of Literature in the United States.

The UNESCO Creative Cities Network includes 180 cities across 72 countries divided into seven categories — crafts and fold art, design, film, gastronomy, literature, media arts, and music.

In 2008, Iowa City was one of three Cities of Literature in the world and was the only one on the Western Hemisphere. On Oct. 31, Québec City, Canada, and Seattle joined the club. Six other cities across the world also joined in 2017, for a total of 28 in 73 countries.

The announcement comes shortly after President Trump decided to withdraw the United States from UNESCO. Trump’s decision will not affect Iowa City’s designation, because the city’s relationship with UNESCO is direct.

“When we earned the designation, the criteria were specific to literature,” said John Kenyon, the director of Iowa City UNESCO City of Literature. “For Iowa City, it was having the Writers’ Workshop, strong international connections through the International Writing Program, great bookstores and libraries, and a community in which literature played an integral role.”

Kenyon said since then, UNESCO has somewhat changed the criteria for a city to earn the designation. Now, it is now based more on how much experience the city has in doing collaborative programming with other cities in various parts of the world.

“When Iowa City earned the designation, it was recognition for what the city had already accomplished, what it was currently doing, and what it would do with it going forward,” Kenyon said. “These days, it is lot more based on what the city is doing currently and what it would do in the future. It is not as much based on what it has done in the past.”

Seattle has been influenced greatly by literature, Kenyon said, from having the largest independent bookstore in the world to having a number of reputable, independent presses.

Kenyon also said Seattle has a strong indigenous population that has contributed largely to the culture, which is something Iowa does not have.

“We are very excited that Seattle has been designated a City of Literature,” Kenyon said. “We can find ways to leverage one another’s strengths and do some wonderful things.”

“It is very important for a city to have the City of Literature title,” said Bonnie Sunstein, the director of the University of Iowa Nonfiction Writing Program.

Sunstein said Seattle being designated a City of Literature is a part of UNESCO’s effort to recognize Intangible Cultural Heritage, which is the culture and heritage communities possess but cannot be seen.

Seattle is a much bigger city, Sunstein said, and it is great to see that it is willing to put in the work it takes to earn the designation.

“The City of Literature title is something by which people outside Iowa, recognize Iowa City,” said Alex Chasteen, a UI student studying English and creative writing. “It is an umbrella term for the profound reasons Iowa City is unique when it comes to literature.”

Although it is exciting to see Seattle being designated, that Iowa City was the first City of Literature in the Western Hemisphere, and the third in the world, says a lot, Chasteen said.

RELATED: Iowa City remains UNESCO despite U.S. withdrawal