The numbers behind Iowa’s win over Ohio State

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep
Iowa tight end Noah Fant catches a touchdown pass during the Iowa/Ohio State football game in Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 4, 2017. The Hawkeyes defeated the Buckeyes in a storming fashion, 55-24. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

When you have a pair of tight ends like Noah Fant and T.J. Hockenson, you use them.

Quarterback Nate Stanley did just that in Iowa’s 55-24 win against Ohio State on Nov. 4. Fant and Hockenson combined for 9 catches, 125 yards, and 4 (yes, you read that correctly) touchdowns.

A little fewer than half of Stanley’s completions (9 of 20) found their way into the hands of tight ends.

Ohio State’s linebackers couldn’t match up against Iowa’s tight ends. Often, the middle of the field was uncovered, and Stanley wasn’t forced to launch the ball downfield.

Stanley look to Fant and Hockenson in situations in which Iowa needed to pick up first downs; the two combined for five of Iowa’s 24 first-downs.

All four touchdowns came from within 25 yards (three came within 10).

Fant’s touchdown count grew to 7 on the season, the most receiving touchdowns in a season since wide receiver Marvin McNutt scored 12 in 2012.

Meanwhile, Hockenson had the game of his career against Ohio State, setting career-bets in receptions (5), receiving yards (71), and touchdowns (2).

Pounding it on the ground

Even with Stanley’s big day and the tight ends putting in major work on offense, the running game churned out its best effort of the season.

As a unit, Iowa rushed for 243 yards. Akrum Wadley ran for 118 yards — his 13th 100-yard game of his career — and Jame Butler added a season-high 74 yards in the win (Butler had his longest run as a Hawkeye, too, a 53-yard scamper in the third quarter).

Toren Young even got in on the action. The redshirt freshman ran for 47 yards and his first college touchdown. On Iowa’s final drive of the game, a five-play, 47-yard effort capped off with the final score of the game, Young touched the ball on every play.

Shutting down the Buckeye offense

Ohio State entered the game with one of the nation’s best offenses, led by Heisman-hopeful quarterback J.T. Barrett.

The Buckeyes averaged 571 yards of total offense and 46 points per game heading into their matchup with the Hawkeyes. They held Ohio State to 371 yards and 24 points.

Barrett threw 4 interceptions after coming into the contest with only one turnover through the air this season (the first came when safety Amani Hooker jumped a route and took Barrett’s pass 30 yards for a score on the first play from scrimmage, the second Pick-6 for the Hawkeyes this season).

Urban Meyer’s big L

The Hawkeyes handed Meyer his biggest loss as the Buckeyes’ head coach since his squad lost 31-0 to Clemson in the 2017 Fiesta Bowl.

It was only Meyer’s eighth loss while at Ohio State (68-8), bringing his winning percentage to .895.

Two of the remaining three games on Ohio State’s schedule could pose problems for the Buckeyes (Michigan State and Michigan).