In Their Own Words: Is gun control discourse effective?

TNS
Investigators work at the scene of a mass shooting at the First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs, Texas on Sunday, Nov. 5, 2017. (Jay Janner/Austin American-Statesman/TNS)

Two of the five deadliest mass shootings in modern U.S. history have happened in just over a month. Gun control inevitably permeates conversations after these tragedies. We asked people on campus, “What do you think about talks about gun control after mass shootings? Are they effective?”

James Earl, UI chemistry graduate student

“Typically speaking it’s ineffective because it happens so many times. It doesn’t mean we should stop trying though.”

David Reinking, Iowa City resident

“Yes. Because people are more aware of the problem of extreme events and it helps find solutions.”

Sara Piccoli, UI communications studies major

“I think the intention is good but thoughts and prayers don’t make public policy. People do.”

Nicholas Klein, Iowa City resident

“It’s very important. Well from when I’ve seen the shooting going on in Texas, I think there should be some type of mental evaluation for owning a firearm after Texas and Vegas.”

Payton Long, UI ethics & public policy major

“No. I don’t think they’re effective. If there’s no law put into place, there’s no deterrent to keep them from doing it.”