Around the Big Ten: Week 10 power rankings

Every week, the Pregame staff takes a look at what’s going on in the conference, and puts together power rankings around the Big Ten. 
The Daily Iowan; Photo by Ben Sm
Coaches Paul Chryst, Lovie Smith, Tom Allen, and James Franklin interview with Fox Sports Game Analyst, Joel Klatt, during the Big Ten Football Media Day Luncheon at McCormick Place Conference Center in Chicago on Tuesday, July 25, 2017. (Ben Smith/The Daily Iowan)

“I’m going to have a tough time focusing on the game, because those alternative uniforms are fire emoji, fire emoji, fire emoji.”

1) Wisconsin (8-0):
DON’T @ ME.

2) Ohio State (7-1):
Ohio State beat Penn State by 1 point. Iowa lost to Penn State by 2. We’re looking at a one-score game here, folks.

3) Penn State (7-1):
Still good, just less good than before.

4) Michigan (6-2):
Even when the Wolverines are bad, they’re still good.

5) Northwestern (5-3):

The Wildcats are going to win out. Nebraska, Purdue, Minnesota, and Illinois. You have to be kidding me.

6) Iowa (5-3):
Can you imagine if Iowa beats Ohio State? Cover at DC’s is going to be like, $20.

7) Michigan State (6-2):
Three overtimes would have been interesting if it was literally any teams other than Michigan State and Northwestern.

8) Nebraska (4-4):
Nebraska is coming off a close win over Purdue. Things are heating up for the Cornhuskers.

9) Maryland (4-4):
The pals out East are still really hanging in there, some way, somehow.

10) Minnesota (4-4):
Nice guys don’t always finish last. Sometimes, they finish right in the bottom of the middle.

11) Indiana (3-5):
Beause you’re not ranked higher than the Boilermakers in basketball, I’ll put you a spot above them here, Indiana. Where it really matters.

12) Purdue (3-5):
They’re just excited that hoops szn is here.

13) Rutgers (3-5):
People forget Rutgers went 8-5 in 2014. I know I do.

14) Illinois (2-6):
I wanted to go to Illinois most of my junior year of high school. Thank God I chose Iowa.

Offensive impact

Name: J.T. Barrett, Ohio State

Position: Quarterback

Year: Senior

This man is so, so good. He completed 16-consecutive passes in the end of the game to give Penn State its first Big Ten loss since Sept. 24, 2016. He’s averaging 3.125 passing touchdowns a game (oh, and tack on 5 more rushing touchdowns), has thrown just 1 interception, and has 2,166 yards. It’s mind-boggling.

Defensive impact

Name: Paddy Fisher, Northwestern

Position: Linebacker

Year: Redshirt freshman

Last week against Michigan State, Fisher had 17 tackles. That’s not even a season-high for him. In his first season, the linebacker has 73 tackles, good for third in the Big Ten behind Josey Jewell and Minnesota’s Thomas Barber. He’s going to be good for a long time.

Game to watch

No. 3 Ohio State at Iowa

When: 2:30 p.m. Saturday

Where: Kinnick Stadium