Guest Opinion: Mazahir Salih combines intelligence, diligence, compassion

Mazahir Salih shows persistence and principle.
Ting Xuan Tan
FILE – Mazahir Salih, the president of the Center for Worker Justice, laughs at a shared experience told during a listening post at the Pheasant Ridge Neighborhood Center on April 1, 2016. (The Daily Iowan/file)

Mazahir Salih is one of the smartest, hardest-working, most dedicated, and compassionate people I’ve had the pleasure of meeting and working with. We here in Iowa City are incredibly lucky that such a person is willing to step up and run for City Council.

Since joining Mazahir’s campaign in March, I have seen time and again the qualities I want to see working for me and my family as a member of the council in the city where we live.

RELATED: Mazahir Salih aims to  bring rights, advocacy to City Council

Mazahir approaches the job of city councilor, and the campaign to get there, with the utmost seriousness and dedication. Looking back over the campaign calendar, I put together a partial list of what this has meant. When you add up house parties, speaking engagements, public events, parades, campaign meetings, meetings with community leaders, meetings with community groups, and meetings with city department heads, I count more than 70 separate events. And that doesn’t count the fact that Mazahir hasn’t missed a Saturday morning at the Iowa City Farmers’ Market since its third week (she was out of town for the first two weekends).

Meanwhile, she has continued to help people through her job and in her personal life, from helping recover wages that would have otherwise been lost to wage theft to opening her home to a family in the process of finding a place to live to dropping everything to be there for a friend who needed emergency surgery.

Mazahir works hard. She serves others. She will work hard for all of us as a member of the City Council.

— Shawn Harmsen

Ph.D. Campaign Manager

Mazahir Salih for Council