Guest Opinion: Iowa towns vulnerable if President Trump goes nuclear

President Trump’s nuclear authority can no longer go unchecked.
FILE – Donald Trump speaks to a crowd at the University of Iowa Field house on Tuesday, Jan. 26, 2016. Trump is currently tied in Iowa with Ted Cruz. (The Daily Iowan/file)

President Trump can order a nuclear attack, at his whim, and he seems inclined to do so.

Trump said, “Somebody hits us with ISIS — you wouldn’t fight back with a nuke?” When nukes’ use was disparaged, Trump said, “Then why are we making them?” He taunted Rex Tillerson and Kim Jong-un by tweeting, “I told Rex Tillerson, our wonderful secretary of state, that he is wasting his time trying to negotiate with Little Rocket Man.”

RELATED: Kumar: Outdated U.S. nuclear policy has no place

Even a limited deployment of nuclear weapons could easily escalate to full nuclear war, initially killing tens of millions. EMP would destroy communications and electric power infrastructure.

In Iowa, Burlington, Sioux City, Waterloo, Dubuque, Cedar Rapids, Des Moines, and Davenport are targeted. Deadly plumes from these would drift hundreds of miles. Most initial survivors would soon die after a wretched and futile search for uncontaminated water and food, and fuel, shelter, and medical care.

It is irresponsible and dangerous for Congress to abdicate to the president its constitutional power to declare war. Congress should immediately pass a law that explicitly requires Congress to approve any order by the president for a nuclear attack. Furthermore, Congress should make it unlawful to launch a first strike.

— Bob Dickerman