After two losses, some positives remain for Hawkeye volleyball

Iowa Volleyball head coach Bond Shymansky watches his team during the Iowa/Nebraska volleyball match on Saturday, Oct. 7, 2017. Nebraska defeated Iowa 3-0. (David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan)

David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan

David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan

David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan

Anna Kayser, [email protected]

The Iowa volleyball team dropped matches to both Michigan and No. 10 Michigan State this past weekend, making its Big Ten record 4-8 heading into the last month of the season.

On Oct. 28, Iowa battled with No. 10 Michigan State. The first set featured 15 ties and five lead changes. The Hawkeyes took the lead at 22-20 following a 6-1 surge, but the Spartans battled back to tie the score, 24-24, then went on to win, 26-24.

Michigan State didn’t let it get so close in the second set. After Iowa came back on a 9-4 run to cut the lead to 18-14, Michigan State jumped further ahead and took the match, 25-16.

Down 2-0 in the match, the Hawkeyes fought hard in the third set. A kill by freshman outside hitter Claire Sheehan tied the set at 8 and propelled the Hawkeyes into an 11-3 run.

Iowa took the set, 25-16.

The fourth set was another close one. The Spartans jumped out to an early lead, but the Hawkeyes came within 1 point late to have a chance. Michigan State went on a 4-1 run to douse that hope and win the match, 3-1.

Junior outside hitter Taylor Louis recorded a personal best 20 kills with a .356 attack percentage. Sheehan followed with 12 kills.

Iowa out-blocked Michigan State, 10-5, something that head coach Bond Shymansky was surprised but pleased about.

“[Michigan State] is one of the best blocking teams in the country,” he said in a release. “That’s a testament to Vicki Brown and the work she is doing as our blocking coach, but we really worked hard and stayed focused on the game plan. That was fantastic.”

RELATED: Volleyball seeks to regain momentum

Shymansky said he’s proud that the Hawkeyes battled, even though they didn’t come out with a win.

“What a great, gritty performance by our team,” Shymansky said in a release. “Even right out of the gate in the first set, we were right there. We got a little soft in the second set for about four or five minutes, and that was enough with their serving combination. We had a great comeback and really put it to them in the third set, and I just like how our group is fighting.”

The night before, Iowa took a tough loss to unranked Michigan, a team it beat, 3-1, earlier in the season.

The first set started out close, with the score tied at 11. Michigan jumped ahead in the middle of the set and never looked back, winning, 25-17.

The Wolverines continued that momentum in the second set, in which they never trailed. They beat the Hawkeyes, 25-15, running the match advantage to 2-0.

Iowa battled in the third set, taking a 14-13 lead. The teams went point for point, but with the score knotted at 24, Michigan took the next 2 points and the match.

Anna Kayser, Assistant Sports Editor

Anna Kayser is currently the Assistant Sports Editor and a football reporter at the DI. She began her college career as a news reporter before moving to...

• After two losses, some positives remain for Hawkeye volleyball

Sports

By the numbers: Hawkeye women’s basketball

Men's gymnastics

Consistency is key for Iowa men’s gymnastics

Sports

Iowa wrestling’s Young and Marinelli take reins after undefeated starts

Football

Iowa football report card: Defensive line

Football

Iowa football report card: Offensive line

Sports

Iowa wrestling shifts from late losses to bonus points

Football

Former Hawkeye George Kittle nearly breaks NFL record

Sports

Iowa swimming and diving tops Iowa State for ninth-consecutive season

Sports

Men’s track Hawks start season off strong

Sports

Jimmy Grant Invite sets tone for the Iowa women’s track