Point/counterpoint: Will Iowa win over or under 6.5 games?

Daily Iowan sports reporters Sean Bock and Jim Geerdes debated the question: Will Iowa win over or under 6.5 games this season?
Iowa players carry Floyd the big off the field during the Iowa-Minnesota game at Kinnick on Saturday, Nov. 14, 2013. The Hawkeyes defeated the Golden Gophers, 40-35 to stay perfect on the season. (The Daily Iowan/File photo)

More:

I’ll say it once, and I’ll say it again: there is still a lot of football to be played.

Though the Hawkeyes sit at a mediocre 4-3, there are a few more opportunities for Iowa to pick up some wins and get into a respectable bowl game.

On Saturday, the fighting P.J. Flecks come to town for Floyd of Rosedale. Josey Jewell returns, and because of his presence, the Hawkeyes will shut down the Gophers’ talented downhill running game. This game will be like Northwestern. It’ll be so ugly you’ll want to watch paint dry. Hawks by 3.

Next up is Ohio State. The question will be answered: Will J.T. Barrett play well against a solid defense? Iowa City will be a ruckus, but the Buckeyes are too talented, and I don’t see a scenario where the Hawkeyes can get away with a win.

Madison is never a fun place to play for the visitors. The Badgers are a top-10 team this year, despite their youth. The Wisconsin defense is one of the best in the country, and the Iowa offense has arguably been one of the worst. I’ll let you connect the dots here.

After two straight losses, Kirk Ferentz and his team will be back in Iowa City for a senior day matchup with Purdue. Boilermaker football is kind of relevant this year for the first time in forever. But it’s senior day. The home team is supposed to win. Give me Iowa by 10.

Last, but not quite because Iowa is making a bowl game, the Hawkeyes will travel to Lincoln to square up with their best friend, Nebraska. Using my magic crystal ball, this matchup will determine whether or not the Cornhuskers become bowl eligible this year. Iowa is too average to lose this game, so I’m taking the Hawks.

— By Sean Bock

Less:

Hi, my name is Jim Geerdes and I am going to be a pessimist today. Iowa is not so good at football.

Iowa’s current track in its football season merits my hopeless outlook on a year that will most likely be known as ‘The time Iowa didn’t go 12-0.’ We as a school hold the expectations that any season Iowa State even has a chance at topping the Hawkeyes should be a season forgotten. (Overtime? Really?)

During this process, please do keep in mind, in order to break this seven wins mark, Iowa must somehow beat Minnesota, Purdue, and Nebraska. And if that doesn’t work out, they must find an upset in either Ohio State or Wisconsin.

OK, time to break down some Iowa losses.

Hello Minnesota. Iowa fans are calling this game an easy win, but the way the Hawks have played so far shows that there are no easy wins. But I’ll give this one to Iowa, simply because they beat Illinois by more points than the Gophers. Floyd continues his stay in Iowa City.

The Ohio State University. It will take a Penn State-like meltdown for the Buckeyes to lose. And even if that happens, Iowa will probably still lose. ‘The’ Iowa Hawkeyes will drop this one.

The Hawkeyes are now 5-4. I’d recommend stopping while we’re ahead, but that’s not how football works.

It seems like the Big Ten West has had a Badger infestation this year, and it doesn’t look like the Hawkeyes can act as pest control. Nate Stanley will overthrow a receiver, someone will drop a pass, and the trenches will not be very pretty for the Hawkeyes. Welcome to an even record Iowa. 5-5.

Alright, you’re all tired of hearing the same old story. I’ll say it. There’s going to be an upset. That’s right. Iowa is going to lose to the Boilermakers. My logic is as follows: Purdue beat Ohio. Ohio beat Eastern Michigan. Eastern Michigan beat the Rutgers. Rutgers beat Minnesota. Minnesota beat Middle Tennessee. Middle Tennessee beat Syracuse. Syracuse beat Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh beat Duke. Duke beat Northwestern. And, hold the applause, Northwestern beat Iowa. Thus, by every Iowa State fan’s favorite (and only known) math principle, the transitive property, Purdue beat Iowa. 5-6.

Bring on Nebraska. I’m going to make a claim that will heat many a Twitter argument. Nebraska grows better corn. Read a book. Nebraska wins. Iowa goes 5-7. No bowl game. No happy ending. Good night, moon.

Final note: I simply wrote this for the banter.

— By Jim Geerdes