Guest Opinion: We Are Phil Week powered by GOLDrush

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Ben S
A Herky statue with a “PHIL Was Here” sash stands on the Pentacrest on Monday, April 24. Beginning in 2012, the UI launched PHIL Was Here to celebrate philanthropy at the university. (The Daily Iowan/Ben Smith)

The University of Iowa has adopted “Phil” to represent philanthropy and the people who make donations to help our university be remarkable.

Many of our faculty and staff, who already give so much of their time and talents, also are wonderful examples of Phil.

Our fifth-annual We Are Phil campaign week is happening at the University of Iowa from Monday to Friday. During the campaign, a number of activities will take place throughout campus to help faculty and staff learn more about philanthropy and how their individual and collective gifts make a big impact on Iowa and the people we serve.

RELATED: Guest Opinion: New grad reflects on being Phil forever after life at UI

This year, We Are Phil week is powered by GOLDrush, the UI’s new crowd-funding platform. GOLDrush is a joint effort of the University of Iowa Center for Advancement and the UI Office of the Vice President for Research and Economic Development; it offers faculty, staff, and student groups a tool for soliciting donations to support research and other academic activities.

For the first time ever, our faculty and staff will have the option of making their We Are Phil gifts through GOLDrush. There are several worthy causes to support, including a scholarship fund in the UI College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, a Sunday dinner program sponsored by the Division of Student Life, and the opportunity to help UI College of Nursing students gain global health experience in Swaziland, Africa. You can see all GOLDrush projects at goldrush.uiowa.edu/g/wap.

I am grateful to all of our volunteer campus leaders who have helped with the planning and implementation of our We Are Phil campaign week. And to the UI’s extraordinary faculty and staff: Thank you for all you do for Iowa.

– Lynette Marshall

President and CEO

University of Iowa Center for Advancement