DITV: First look inside Iowa City’s new Hilton Garden Inn

The Hilton Garden Inn is shown on Clinton Street on Tuesday, July 18, 2017. The 12th floor of the hotel features a rooftop bar accessible to both Hilton rewards members as well as guests and community members. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep

A new Hilton Garden Inn with 143 guest rooms just opened on South Clinton street. At 12 stories high, it’s the tallest building in downtown Iowa City.

Management said this is one of the first new hotels to open in downtown Iowa City for about 30 years. It includes not only guest suites, but a ballroom for events and a rooftop restaurant as well.

“It’s been a very exciting process,” said Neal Roth, the hotel’s general manager. “I was here 22 months ago in December of 2015 when we broke ground on this very spot. After 22 months of construction, we opened the hotel last week on October 25, and Vue rooftop is set to open on October 24.”

RELATED: A room with a Vue for Iowa City

When starting up a new hotel, countless things have to be taken into consideration, from the type of mattresses, to the style of bathtubs, to getting the pool inspected for safety. The Hilton is also preparing to host wedding receptions and other special events.

“It’s been kind of hectic, but it’s been really good. I mean there’s just a good energy about everyone right now. I think things are going really well,” said Emily Ash, the hotel’s Director of Special Events.

Construction is also finishing up on the Vue restaurant on the top floor of the hotel. When it opens, anyone in Iowa City can come for a craft beer, cocktail, and the view.

—  Kaylyn Kluck

• DITV: First look inside Iowa City’s new Hilton Garden Inn

DITV

DITV Newscast: Nov. 15, 2018

DITV

DITV: Chef Barry Greensburg

DITV

DITV: The End of Carousels

DITV

DITV Newscast: Nov. 14, 2018

DITV

DITV Sports: Nov. 15, 2018

DITV

DITV Sportscast: Nov. 14, 2018

DITV

DITV Sports: Men’s Basketball Update

• DITV

DITV Sports: Jordan Bohannon receives the Stan Musial Award

• DITV

DITV Sports: Nov. 13, 2018

DITV

DITV Newscast: Nov. 13, 2018