Field hockey falls to Northwestern in overtime

In a back-and-forth match, the Hawkeye field-hockey squad was unable to pull out a win in overtime.
David Harmantas
Iowa’s Katie Birch passes the ball during a match against the University of Indiana field hockey team on Friday, Sept. 29, 2017. Iowa won the match 4-3. (David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan)

By Taylor McNitt

On Oct. 13, Iowa field hockey took on Northwestern at Grant Field and despite battling throughout, fell, 5-4, in overtime.

The Wildcats kicked off the game with a 2-goal lead in the eighth and ninth minutes, and the Hawkeyes didn’t respond with a goal until the 27th minute. A second Hawkeye goal in the 32nd minute tied the game going into the second half.

That half followed a similar narrative: Northwestern scored 2 more goals, and Iowa couldn’t tie the match at 4 until almost the end of the game.

Northwestern then scored the game-winning goal in the fifth minute of overtime.

“We showed great resiliency to get ourselves back in the match and into overtime,” said head coach Lisa Cellucci. “We needed a little bit better game management in the beginning of each half, and had we done that, we wouldn’t have had to spend so much energy getting back into the match. Northwestern is an outstanding team. We think we are an outstanding team, we just need to get on the right side of things. Our focus for Michigan is going to be our team defense and our decision-making.”

Iowa will face Michigan at noon on Oct. 15 at Grant Field.