Around the Big Ten: Week 6 power rankings

Every week, the Pregame staff takes a look at what’s going on in the conference, and puts together power rankings around the Big Ten. 
The Daily Iowan; Photo by Ben Sm
Coaches Paul Chryst, Lovie Smith, Tom Allen, and James Franklin interview with Fox Sports Game Analyst, Joel Klatt, during the Big Ten Football Media Day Luncheon at McCormick Place Conference Center in Chicago on Tuesday, July 25, 2017. (Ben Smith/The Daily Iowan)

1) Penn State (5-0):
It would be so great to see Saquon Barkley in a Packers’ uniform. Too bad he’s going No. 1 and GB is winning Super Bowl LII.

2) Wisconsin (4-0):
The only team I can even remotely see Bucky losing to the rest of this season is Michigan. Badgers are 100 percent winning the West title.

3) Michigan (4-0):
The Wolverines’ rest of the season could be tough; they have Penn State, Wisconsin, and Ohio State in the second half. It’ll be fun to watch.

4) Ohio State (4-1):
You shut out Rutgers. Congrats, Ohio State.

5) Maryland (3-1)

Can someone please explain to me how we got to the point where I have Maryland ranked No. 5?

6) Michigan State (3-1):
Yep, better than Iowa.

7) Iowa (3-2):
The only reason the Hawkeyes are still in the top half is because they’ve shown they can be better.

8) Nebraska (3-2):
Nebraska is the worst. It just sits uselessly between the Midwest and the West. I don’t consider it a part of anything geographically.

9) Minnesota (3-1):
The boat is sinking, P.J.

10) Northwestern (2-2):
Anytime Adam talks about the Wildcats being a “dark horse” a Northwestern nerd fails an exam.

11) Indiana (2-2):
The state of Indiana is also the worst. It is very similar to Nebraska in the way that it is not useful whatsoever.

12) Illinois (2-1):
“I can’t wait for the next two years to be over so I can finally have my own recruits.” — Lovie Smith, probably

13) Purdue (2-2):
A list of places I will never return to: West Lafayette.

14) Rutgers (1-4):
Somehow put up 209 yards against Ohio State. Still didn’t score any points.

Offensive Impact

Name: D.J. Moore, Maryland

Position: Wide receiver

Year: Junior

Moore has 30 receptions for 403 yards so far this season with 5 touchdowns through the air. That’s an average of 13.4 yards a catch. Plus, he’s added 46 yards and a touchdown in three rushes on the ground. Now, that’s an impact.

Defensive Impact

Name: Josey Jewell, Iowa

Position: Middle linebacker

Year: Senior

Jewell leads the Big Ten in defense, and it isn’t even close. He has had back-to-back 16-tackle games and is No. 4 in total tackles in the NCAA with 60. He’s tied for fifth in solo tackles, posting 31. Add in 2.5 sacks, an interception, a fumble recovery, and 4 pass breakups, and you’ve got an Outlaw on your hands.

Game to Watch:

Michigan state at No. 8 michigan

When: 6:30 p.m. Saturday

Where: Michigan Stadium, Ann Arbor, Mich.