Around the Big Ten: Week 4 power rankings

The Daily Iowan; Photo by Ben Sm
Coaches Paul Chryst, Lovie Smith, Tom Allen, and James Franklin interview with Fox Sports Game Analyst, Joel Klatt, during the Big Ten Football Media Day Luncheon at McCormick Place Conference Center in Chicago on Tuesday, July 25, 2017. (Ben Smith/The Daily Iowan)

“The Big Ten schedule starts now, and it just makes me excited about life.”

1) Penn State (3-0)

I once had a friend who said Curtis Samuel was a better running back than Saquon Barkley. Samuel is now a wide receiver, and my friend was wrong.

2) Michigan (3-0)

Sure, the Wolverines only beat Air Force by 16 at home, but it would be foolish to put them any lower.

3) Ohio State (2-1)

Ohio State’s only loss is against Oklahoma and one of the best quarterbacks in college football, and it can still beat nearly any team in the country. That loss is forgivable.

4) Wisconsin (3-0)

Wisconsin is currently outscoring opponents 130-30. That’s insane.

5) Iowa (3-0)

The game against North Texas was a little concerning, but the Hawkeyes have an opportunity unlike any other in front of them when Penn State comes to town.

6) Minnesota (3-0)

P.J. Fleck has won 18 of his last 19 games as a head coach. To put that in perspective, Nick Saban has also won 18 of his last 19 games. Row the boat.

7) Maryland (2-0)

I really wasn’t prepared to put the Terrapins this high, but here we are. Fun fact: Maryland has scored the third-most points in the Big Ten, behind Penn State and Wisconsin.

8) Michigan State (2-0)

Going from Big Ten Champions to 3-9 was quite the turn of events. I guess we’ll find out if the Spartans are for real when they take on Notre Dame.

9) Purdue (2-1)

This Boilermaker squad is so different from last year. Jim Harbaugh even said Purdue head coach Jeff Brohm would be his early favorite for Coach of the Year, which is the ultimate compliment from one football guy to another.

10) Northwestern (2-1)

With games coming up against Wisconsin and Penn State, the Wildcats could definitely fall down this list soon.

11) Illinois (2-1)

Another fun fact: The Illini haven’t had a winning streak longer than two games since 2011. No wonder they lost last week.

12) Indiana (1-1)

Indiana is the only team with a conference loss, so I guess it should be toward the bottom of the list.

13) Nebraska (1-2)

At least you’re not last, Nebraska.

14) Rutgers (1-2)

Watching Rutgers play Penn State, Michigan, and Ohio State this season is going to be something else.

Offensive Impact Name: Alex Hornibrook, Wisconsin Position: Quarterback Year: Sophomore

Hornibrook is the second Badger in a row to receive Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week honors, and he is definitely deserving. The West Chester, Pennsylvania, native completed 18-of-19 passes, throwing for 256 yards and 4 touchdowns against BYU. His 94.7 (!!!) completion percentage set a Wisconsin single-game record and was the best in the history of the Big Ten by any player attempting at least 13 passes.

Defensive Impact Name: Jacob Huff, Minnesota Position: Defensive Back Year: Junior