Iowa football quotables

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep
Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz looks the field during an NCAA football game between Iowa and Wyoming in Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 2, 2017. The Hawkeyes defeated Wyoming, 24-3. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

Ben Niemann, linebacker

On dealing with trash talk from the other team: “You have to do your job and be ready to go at the next snap. There’s not a ton of time for that. You know you’re going to get it here and there, that’s just part of the game, but at the end of the day you have to respect the game and football is a great game. That’s why we’re playing it.”

On this week being his last Cy-Hawk game:

“I definitely want to finish on a win. Every game you want to win, but obviously it’s my last one so your prefer to get a win, for sure.”

Akrum Wadley, running back 

On grinding for yards against Wyoming: “That was one of our goals going into it. That was one of our goals as running backs, just to grind, get those 3 or 4 yards. That’s a win for the backs, if we can get to second and 6, Coach [Ferentz] always talks about how it’s easier to call a second and 6 call than a second and 10, so that was the goal.”

On learning about the Iowa/Iowa State rivalry for the first time: “As a freshman, my first time coming in, I didn’t know anything about this game until I saw how when this week comes how guys prepare for it. I was able to watch guys like [Anthony] Hitchins… The hits he was giving me, you never forget those things. This week means a lot. The coaches stress about it that every game is important, but this game is important.”

Miguel Recinos, placekicker

On the his first PAT attempt during the Wyoming game: “Long story short, what happened was I was looking up at the uprights when Colten [Rastetter] gave the signal to snap the ball, so I didn’t actually see the snap. I saw someone coming out of the corner of my eye, and that was the first indication I had. So you can imagine my surprise. It was just a mistake where I moved my head a little bit. I usually give Colten an indication I’m ready, and he mistook it. It was my fault, I shouldn’t have been moving my head.”

On one of his new-found hobbies, yoga: “It was really tough today because we squatted yesterday, and I was feeling it bad. Normally, I’m a fairly flexible person, but I noticed I’m starting to get older. You wake up in the morning and you just don’t feel like you used to. I think it helps me a little bit, plus it’s three credit hours, so it really can’t be that bad.”