Downtown establishments remain confident after Ped Mall shooting

Downtown bars and restaurants remain confident in their security in spite of the Ped Mall shooting.
Fans inside Sports Column cheer and pose for a photo during the game between Michigan State and Iowa on Saturday, Dec. 5, 2015. (The Daily Iowan/Sergio Flores)

In light of the recent shooting in the Ped Mall, local bars and restaurants are confident in their security and customers.

“I’m the new owner, but I was manager for 10 years, and I haven’t seen a single fist fight,” said Ben Mummey, the owner of Deadwood. “We generally have just an older, more mature crowd, we never seem to have those kinds of problems.”

Donnelly’s Pub general manager Levi McCurn and Studio 13 owner Jason Zeman said they feel the same way, both n0ting that their customers don’t belong in “that kind of crowd.”

While these establishments haven’t had any horrible incidents with their customers, that doesn’t mean they aren’t prepared for trouble.

Studio 13 has a qualified security staff and its day-to-day staff has trained with the police’s LGBTQ+ liaisons along with training for conflict resolution. They also have different plans in place for different emergencies.

“We’ve always tried to make sure that the Studio is a safe place, that’s what we want to be for people,” Zeman said. “We’ve always had pretty robust security and continue to do so.”

RELATED: Police say Ped Mall shooting was not a random act

Studio 13 is in a unique position because it is an LGBTQ+ nightclub. With the targeting of LGBTQ+ spaces in the past, such as the Orlando nightclub shooting, staff members strive to ensure their customers feel safe and that the crowds on busy nights stay respectful, Zeman said.

The Deadwood doesn’t have a security staff, but the employees are formally trained, Mummey said. If they have real trouble that can’t be handled by crowd control or conflict resolution, they let the police handle the situation.

“We call the police if there’s a problem, and they have a pretty good response time,” Mummey said.

Mummey said Deadwood doesn’t have any specific plan for an emergency, but they have employees in the front and back at all times, numerous exits in case of fire, and a basement that customers could go to in case of an emergency that prevents them from going outside, he said.

Donnelly’s Pub also uses its staff as security if the need arises, McCurn said.

“If anyone gets rowdy, the kitchen guy or me as the general manager will step in as a kind of security,” McCurn said.

RELATED: Some wary after Ped Mall shooting

Bo-James employees also forgo formal training, employee Jack Berning said. (Berning was a staff writer at The Daily Iowan last year.)

“I guess we’re naturally trained in crowd control because of football season,” Berning said. “We get a lot of hands-on experience.”

Despite their security confidence, employees at Bo-James and Donnelly’s Pub have been told to stay vigilant, Berning and McCurn said.

“We were reminded to stay wary and keep an eye out for suspicious behavior,” Berning said.

“We’re being more aware and alert, but we don’t really attract that kind of crowd … it’s a shooting, so you never know what’s going to happen, but right now, we’re just taking it with a grain of salt,” McCurn said.