Hawkeyes keep the Cy-Hawk trophy at home

The Iowa soccer team takes the Cy-Hawk Trophy after Fiegel’s game-winning goal, but falls to top 25 Notre Dame in last weekend\’s action.
Iowa Players celebrate the winning goal during the Iowa vs. Iowa State soccer game on Friday august 25, 2017. Iowa won 1-0 in extra time. (Nick Rohlman/The Daily Iowan)

This past weekend, the Iowa soccer team took on two tough opponents at the Iowa Soccer Complex and came away with a win and a loss to push its record to 2-1.

Iowa’s first game was its home-opener against Iowa State on Aug. 25. It was a hard-fought match right from the beginning, though the Hawkeyes did most of the attacking in the first half.

Iowa led Iowa State in shots after the first half (7-3), but neither team could find the back of the net.

With Iowa going into the second half with momentum, Iowa State needed to get something going in the second half, and it did.

Iowa State was the aggressor in the second half, but neither team was able to net any goals, sending the match to sudden death.

“After the second half, we talked and said, ‘Hey, it’s about playing our game, and we’re playing into Iowa State’s game, and that’s not OK,’ ” senior Karly Stuenkel said. “We just felt like we needed more energy.”

Iowa found that energy in sudden death, coming out with a more fluid attack than in the second half.

RELATED: Psyched soccer eyes Cy-Hawk home-opener

With around two minutes left in sudden death, Hawkeye sophomore Olivia Fiegel had the ball and only the keeper to beat.

“As I got the ball, and as I took my first head shot, I got a little bit nervous,” Fiegel said. “But as the keeper stepped out, I was like, ‘Oh my goodness, she’s stepping out. I have space.’ I calmed myself down and scored the goal.”

Fiegel’s goal clinched the game for Iowa and marked the third year in a row that it has defeated Iowa State in the Cy-Hawk Series.

Hawkeye head coach Dave DiIanni was proud of the resiliency his team showed throughout the game.

“Iowa State does a good job with their program, and every game we have played in my four years has been close,” he said. “It was a game of momentum swings. We had a chance to put them away early on, and we did not. They are a good program with a good RPI, and they came back. Give our kids credit. They battled right back.”

Sunday’s game against No. 18 Notre Dame did not go so well.

While the Hawkeyes were able to stay competitive, they were ultimately out-dueled, 2-0.

The Fighting Irish’s goals came within two minutes of each other, one on a corner kick and the other on a penalty kick.

Despite allowing 2 goals, Iowa keeper Claire Graves had a stellar performance, saving 7 of Notre Dame’s 19 shots.

Even though the result wasn’t what the Hawkeyes wanted, DiIanni finds some value in the way his team played against a high-caliber opponent.

“I liked out mentality halfway through the first half and in the second half as well,” he said. “We didn’t have the competitive mentality in the beginning, and unfortunately, when you give up 2 goals, it just isn’t a recipe for success when you play a top-25 team. I wish we would have competed a little earlier.”

The Hawkeyes next opponent will be Southern Utah at 7 p.m. Thursday at the Iowa Soccer Complex.