Piano prodigy to perform to raise money for UI Children’s Hospital

A piano prodigy will perform in Iowa City on Aug. 26 and 27  to aid the UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital.
contributed
contributed

Charlie Liu, a 16-year-old piano prodigy, was once featured alongside then-19-year-old Taylor Swift on the “Oprah Winfrey Show” at 8 years old. Now he is coming to perform in Iowa, where he was born at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics.

Liu will perform at the First United Methodist Church, 214 E. Jefferson St., at 7 p.m. Saturday and 2 p.m. Aug. 27 at at the Coralville Center for the Performing Arts, 1301 Fifth St.

His performances, though the repertoire is different for each venue, will try to raise money for the University of Iowa Stead Family Children’s Hospital through the University of Iowa Foundation and The Preemie Project.

These shows are particularly special for the Liu family, due to Charlie being born seven and a half weeks early and having spent time at the Children’s Hospital neonatal intensive care unit.

The Children’s Hospital gave Charlie excellent intensive care, his father, Mingyi Liu, said. The hospital provided them with financial help when they were not able to afford some of the procedures.

“I’m grateful to be able to help other families in similar situations as the one I was in,” Charlie Liu said.

Four years after being discharged from the unit, he began playing the piano and quickly fell in love with it.

After playing for only two years, then 6-year-old Charlie played on “Ellen DeGeneres” in 2007, Mingyi Liu said.

“Wow. You’re incredible,” said DeGeneres to the young Liu.

When he was 8, Charlie set a world record for the youngest musician to ever perform in all three concert halls in of Carnegie Hall in New York City, Mingyi Liu wrote in a press release.

“It came as no surprise that the achievement he’s most proud of is when he’s giving back, using his talent, which included his first benefit recital, held in Princeton, New Jersey, in 2010 when he was 9.” Mingyi Liu wrote. “But the beneficiary was University of Iowa Children’s Hospital NICU … All the proceeds from the benefit recital were donated to [the] NICU, where he spent his first month in life.”

Charlie Liu said he was excited to host more concerts benefiting the Children’s Hospital.

However, Mingyi Liu said, these two concerts will not be the same. There will be more than 30 minutes of different music, thus making each concert unique.

The church will be a more relaxing environment, creating a nice atmosphere for those who are beginning pianists or general music lovers, Mingyi Liu said.

At the Coralville Center of Performing Arts, Liu will play several difficult pieces on a concert grand piano.

The Coralville show is directed toward those with a passion for classical music; however, anyone is welcome, Mingyi Liu said.